Design with 3rd ethernet WAN uplink.

SOLVED
JuanDavid
Here to help

Design with 3rd ethernet WAN uplink.

Hi meraki community.

I have been designing a best solution for a customer, that needs a 3rd ethernet wan uplink. So i have some questions.

I have just one MX for site, and dont have HA configuration, by can´t add a spare.

1. The mx can have more of 2 ethernet wan uplink? How is that configuration?

2. If ia need configure flow preferences (internet traffic), there are some kind configuration that enable the prefered uplink in a VLAN? 

Thanks, i will be waiting for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
8 REPLIES 8
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi Juan,

MX only has two WAN interfaces. The only option for a third WAN is LTE (but only as a backup).

Of course you can have flow preference...but only for two uplinks.

Hi cptcrunch

thanks. the problem is i dont have MX(C) model, and my 3rd wan uplink, is needed if 2 first wan uplink fails. its a bakcup, but i cant use a doongle or a MX(C) model. by the way, this underlay is LTE, but using a router with this feature. And comercial team, think uses more than 2 wan uplink.

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The max is 2 wan uplinks on the mx itself.

Flow preference is based on a ip or subnet of that vlan. 

You could connect a 3rd internet provider on a  lan port and make a default route for a vlan to that port, but you lose most mx functionality for that traffic. 

Hi ww

thanks. Indeed, now i have a 3rd "wan" conections by a LAN and i am establishing the active route with a static route and the opticon "while host X responds to ping". And the autovpn (the real 2 wan uplinks), remains other routes as standby waiting happens the conditions in the static route.

As can you see, in the active route i'm not doing a VPN, only a simple MPLS(thats my underlay), and this design is nos SDWAN, and the commercial team, insist in keep call it as SDWAN.

maybe you know, if meraki support recognize a design like this this, as a functional in PBR? (i know thar i cant use this, like application routing) 

What specifically are your 3 WAN circuits?  2 x Internet and 1 private MPLS?

Hi phillip

I have 1 internet, 1 mpls and 1 LTE, but using a router with this feature. And preseales team, didnt make a budget of MX(C) model or LTE Usb Doongle.

thats why i need meraki MX support a 3rd ethernet wan uplink 😞

Hi Phillip

Really thank you. 

With this document, i can check that the re-design proposed is supported by meraki.

Thanks for you all.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels