Design question: Multi-organization

SOLVED
suneq
Getting noticed

Design question: Multi-organization

Hi,

My client is a multinational company and they have a lot of agencies in Europe.

Last year, they built a small DC in Germany and then brought up a hub and spoke network to connect all the German agencies. All MX devices are managed by German team so they created a organization called, let's say "COMPANY-GERMANY".

The client is happy so they want to do the same thing in Italy: build a new small DC, bring up a hub to spoke network to connect all Italian agencies and as you may guess create a separate organization "COMPANY-ITALY" managed by Italian team.

If everything goes well, they will probably do the same thing for France and UK.

I am pretty new to Meraki and don't have any experience of creating multiple organizations, so I have a few questions:

1. Do you often see client with multiple organizations please? (I want to hear more from the field, if you say yes I will be much more comfortable 🙂)

2. Is there any downside of creating a lot of organization ?

I'm thinking if one day they want to bring up tunnels between Italian agencies and a German hub, it seems that AutoVPN will not work. Could it be a good reason to use only 1 organization?

3. Is there a way to merge 2 or more organizations? If yes what will be the impact?

Any advice will be highly appreciated, thanks for your kind help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have had a client do that.  Each country is a separate management domain with their own IT people.  The different countries networks are not connected.

If you wanted to create connectivity between the different organisations you would create a a transit site (or make each DC a transit site).  You put an MX in each org next to each other, with static routes pointing to the sites in the other org, and then redistribute those routes back into each others AutoVPN.

There is no "merge" option for organisations.  You have to take everything out of one and create it in the other, including all of the configuration.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have had a client do that.  Each country is a separate management domain with their own IT people.  The different countries networks are not connected.

If you wanted to create connectivity between the different organisations you would create a a transit site (or make each DC a transit site).  You put an MX in each org next to each other, with static routes pointing to the sites in the other org, and then redistribute those routes back into each others AutoVPN.

There is no "merge" option for organisations.  You have to take everything out of one and create it in the other, including all of the configuration.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels