Dening Unwanted DNS

Solved
DerikA
Getting noticed

Dening Unwanted DNS

We are using 3rd party DNS filtering similar Umbrella. To prevent savey end users from using other DNS services I created a firewall rule on my lab MX allowing traffic to my DNS servers and to the 3rd party servers. I then created rules blocking traffic from any source to any destination on UDP and TCP ports 53 and 443. Testing showed this did not prevent me from resolving address if I manually set my DNS server. I have been searching the forms and it appears others have been able to make this work so what am I missing?

Rule summary and order:

1: allow source, any internal network on ports 53 and 443 to destination my DNS and 3rd party DNS servers ports 53 and 443

2: deny source, any on ports 53 and 443 to destination any ports 53 and 443

(edited to fix a typo)

1 Accepted Solution
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your source port need to be any. Its a rondom port. And delete all 443 because you wont be able to browse any website anymore 😛

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

DNS is port TCP/ UDP 53, not 54. Or is that a simple typo?

That is a typo. Sorry, I will correct that in the original post

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Your source port need to be any. Its a rondom port. And delete all 443 because you wont be able to browse any website anymore 😛

CptnCrnch
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Apart from that, you could use https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230904088-Preventing-circumvention-of-Cisco-Umbrella-... as a base to also include other means like DoH or DoT.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels