Dashboard resilience

FRanky
Here to help

Dashboard resilience

Do we have any indication where is the Meraki dashboard (and the entire engine) located? Within a Cisco facility? another ? What is the Resilience we have there? What happens if this site fails?
7 REPLIES 7
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I don't know this answer 100%.

I know that it is located in multiple Amazon AWS availability zones, and also in Cisco Meraki data centres.

I know that a big chunk is in the Amazon AWS East Coast region.  I understand it is also in other regions.

MilesMeraki
Head in the Cloud

I assume this information is kept confidential as you can imagine. From my understanding Meraki hosts their shards/envrioments in multiple different AWS locations worldwide for redundancy and load balancing/latency purposes, using features like EC2, S3, etc.

When you create an organisation via the dashboard you're actually asked what region the organisation will be hosted. This causes your organisation to get hosted on a shard relative to that region.

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)

Negative @MilesMeraki.  Creating an organisation does not ask you anything about location.

@PhilipDAth My mistake; It's when you create "Your account" which I assume then relates to anytime after you create an organisation from that account - see below;

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 11.30.49 AM.png

Eliot F | Simplifying IT with Cloud Solutions
Found this helpful? Give me some Kudos! (click on the little up-arrow below)
MRCUR
Kind of a big deal

One of the companies they use is M5 Hosting. They're even listed on the customer page: http://www.m5hosting.com/customers.php

If you look at the Dashboard IP ranges as announced in BGP, you'll see most come from M5 (including their new range that is directly allocated to Meraki). 

MRCUR | CMNO #12
BHC_RESORTS
Head in the Cloud

Some info is located here: https://meraki.cisco.com/trust#data-centers . Some of their stuff is also on Amazon AWS, as during the last big AWS outage the dashboard and splash page were unavailable. Also, the S3 "issue" recently.

My dashboard is on N155 - which seems to be located in San Diego, CA.

BHC Resorts IT Department
robby_barnes
Getting noticed

@FRanky wrote:
Do we have any indication where is the Meraki dashboard (and the entire engine) located? Within a Cisco facility? another ? What is the Resilience we have there? What happens if this site fails?

Each dashboard shard (you can see your shard number when you log in.  nxxx) is backed up to a secondary cloud solution for fast recovery if necessary.  They have I believe 7 different cloud partners where shards can be hosted.  You can't choose where your account is, but it does have a highly available disaster recovery backup in case of disaster.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels