DC redundancy with BGP

Hi,

I have a simple topology, as show in the diagram below :

suneq_0-1626568677008.png

• 1 spoke with 2 hubs : priority of hub 1 is higher than hub 2
  • eBGP between hub 1 and Core 1
  • eBGP between hub 2 and Core 2
  • iBGP between hubs and spoke

I would like to understand how the traffic from the DC to the Spoke will prioritize the Hub 1 in this scenario.

I learned from the article https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/BGP#Route_Advertisement_Behavior

that routes learned from the Spoke by the Hub2 will have an additional ASN pre-pended but if I understand correctly it does not garantee that the traffic from the DC to the Spoke will prioritize the Hub 1: if the traffic arrives on Core 2 and there is not iBGP between Core 1 and Core 2, it will be sent to the Hub 2 and then to the Spoke (except that there is iBGP between hubs that I am not aware of).

Could you please advise?

Thanks a lot.

1 Accepted Solution
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey you have the logic backwards.

The ASN prepending happens from Meraki to the DC router.

So if a certain spoke has hub1 as first prio it will take that path for a certain subnet.

However the spoke network will be advertised via eBGP to both DC's but DC-2 will have a second ASN prepended.

Of course this is only important if you have duplicate IP space in both DC's.

So if you would have a scenario that a spoke sends traffic to dc hub 1, but the end host is at dc 2 then that traffic will have to be tromboned using the DC interconnect that would have to be in place.  In that case return traffic will also first return to DC-1 before being received by the dc 1 hub for encapsulation in SD-WAN.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

There are active iBGP sessions between the spoke MX and both concentrators.

Why there is no ibgp between the as 6500 cores

suneq
Getting noticed

Hi @ww , thanks for your reply, our client does not have any link and therefore no iBGP between Core 1 and Core 2. It's a bit strange but it's their design. 

GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hey you have the logic backwards.

The ASN prepending happens from Meraki to the DC router.

So if a certain spoke has hub1 as first prio it will take that path for a certain subnet.

However the spoke network will be advertised via eBGP to both DC's but DC-2 will have a second ASN prepended.

Of course this is only important if you have duplicate IP space in both DC's.

So if you would have a scenario that a spoke sends traffic to dc hub 1, but the end host is at dc 2 then that traffic will have to be tromboned using the DC interconnect that would have to be in place.  In that case return traffic will also first return to DC-1 before being received by the dc 1 hub for encapsulation in SD-WAN.

suneq
Getting noticed

Hi @GIdenJoe ,

Thanks for your explanation. I will ask the client to add a back-to-back link and iBGP between 2 Cores.

I wanted to be sure that I undertood the logic before asking the client to change their design.

Thanks again.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels