Creating a new network for my security appliance

SOLVED
Silas1066
Getting noticed

Creating a new network for my security appliance

Probably a pretty basic question, but I just put a MX security appliance out at a remote site for my company.

We already have an existing Meraki network with MX appliances, switches, APs, etc. and this new MX shows up as a "spare" in my dashboard.

I want to

1. Create a new network for the site

2. Move this spare device into it

So my question is, when I create a new network by going to Network-->Create New Network , will it impact my existing setup? How do I then move the MX (and additional switches that haven't been configured yet) into it?

(I want to make sure I don't mess anything up)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm a bit surprised that it shows up as a spare automatically. Can you double check in the inventory that the serial number is indeed in your existing network (you might have to add the "Network" column using the "+" at the top right of the table to see).

If that is indeed the case then in your "Security and SD-WAN/Appliance status" there's probably a "Configure warm spare" button. Click it and Disable warm spare to begin. That'll probably bring the new MX back to your inventory.

Then from your "Organization/Inventory" select the devices you want in this new network and click the Add to... button and from there create the new network. Then you're good to go!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

I'm a bit surprised that it shows up as a spare automatically. Can you double check in the inventory that the serial number is indeed in your existing network (you might have to add the "Network" column using the "+" at the top right of the table to see).

If that is indeed the case then in your "Security and SD-WAN/Appliance status" there's probably a "Configure warm spare" button. Click it and Disable warm spare to begin. That'll probably bring the new MX back to your inventory.

Then from your "Organization/Inventory" select the devices you want in this new network and click the Add to... button and from there create the new network. Then you're good to go!

thanks for your help

that removing from spare status would have really thrown me

it is all good now 🙂

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi
By default if there are 2 MXes in one network. One will be Master and another will act as Spare. (HA).

If you do not want HA functionality for your network. You may remove one device (Spare in your case). Once you remove the Spare Inventory will display that as available and you can create a New Network with this MX.

You can add Switches using the similar method from the inventory.
Also Switches and Access Points can be moved from one network to another network.
Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels