Content filtering mystery with MX450

Solved
LakesideLion
Getting noticed

Content filtering mystery with MX450

Meraki newbie here but learning quickly.    I have a question on content filtering.  I was experimenting with content filtering and under "Content filtering" under "SEcurity & SD-WAN, at the bottom under URL Filtering, I put "nytimes.com" in the "Blocked URL list" and saved the change.

I have 2 instances of Google Chrome up.  One is logged in under my school account and one is logged in under my personal account.   In the instance logged in under my school account, I am blocked from going to nytimes.com.    I see the message "website is blocked by your network operator".   In the other instance, logged in under my personal account, I am NOT blocked.   I can get to nytimes.com.  

Why is that?

1 Accepted Solution
Malwina
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi! 

If a site that should be blocked is not getting blocked by content filtering, aside from the browser cache mentioned above, please consider the following: when content filtering rules are configured/changed, it can take a while for them to fully take effect. This goes for both blocking and unblocking content. This process can sometimes take up to ten minutes 🙂 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Probably browser cache, test in an incognito tab.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Malwina
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi! 

If a site that should be blocked is not getting blocked by content filtering, aside from the browser cache mentioned above, please consider the following: when content filtering rules are configured/changed, it can take a while for them to fully take effect. This goes for both blocking and unblocking content. This process can sometimes take up to ten minutes 🙂 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.