Connect WD My Book Live To My Network

SOLVED
Shadius
Building a reputation

Connect WD My Book Live To My Network

Hi Merakians,

I'm new to the Meraki Community and Networking in general. 

I'm seeking help to connect my Western Digital My Book Live to my network and just wondering how do I go about doing that.

A little background information:

My network currently consists of an MX64 and an MR33 connected to my Fios router. 

I've plugged in the My Book Live into the LAN port of the MX64, but it seems that the WD software can't find it. The My Book Live is just blinking a green LED light. 

What settings should I be checking? Point me in the right direction, please? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing you are attached to the MR33, so you are the My Book are not on the same network.

If you plug the MR33 instead into your MX, and make sure the SSID is in bridge mode it should work.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Is the LAN port configured on the MX you plugged it into? What VLAN? Is it an access or trunk port?

Enthusiast
Shadius
Building a reputation

Hi @kYutobi,

I haven't done any configurations on the MX64. No VLAN. 

Not that far into things yet. 

kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

@Shadius try making the port that your WD is plugged into a trunk port. 

Enthusiast
Shadius
Building a reputation

@kYutobi I don't really know much about configuring VLANs so I'm not sure where to start with that. 

How would I know if I should create VLANs for my home network? 

Also, since the MX64 is connected to the Fios router and I believe it's getting the IP addresses from the router's DHCP server (right?), should I disable the MX64's DHCP? Would that mean that if the MX64's DHCP is disabled, will it be getting the IP assignments from the Fios router's DHCP? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I'm guessing you are attached to the MR33, so you are the My Book are not on the same network.

If you plug the MR33 instead into your MX, and make sure the SSID is in bridge mode it should work.

Shadius
Building a reputation

Hi @PhilipDAth 

So the MR33 should be connected to the MX64 instead of the Fios router? 

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels