Configuring a L3 interface on MX250

LeAnts
Here to help

Configuring a L3 interface on MX250

Im a cisco, forti  and palo guy - meraki still very new to me.

i cannot find a way to configure just a normal L3 interface without specifying a vlan tag id.. is this possible? doesn't look like it.

ive done in on the uplink ports thats fine and working.. but on the GbE ports seems not an option..

on other FWs you'd create a L3 interface, then sub-interfaces if you want to do vlan ports.. but Meraki it seems i am forced to use vlan tags from the get go.

thanks in adv

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, it's not possible you need to create a VLAN interface.

.https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Configuring_VLANs_on_the_MX_Security_Applia...

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

Thanks for clarifying..

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Another important point is that MX does not support LACP

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
GIdenJoe
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't have any direct interfaces on the LAN side of an MX.  However defining a VLAN and having that VLAN on an access port on the firewall or as native and only VLAN on a port is basically the same as defining an "interface" on the other types of firewalls.

Do mind that indeed some needed features are missing like the spanning-tree support and port-channel/LACP support as alemabrahao mentioned.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels