The_Livingstone
Here to help

Configure Warm Spare MX64

Hi team, When do you use MX Uplink IPs or Virtual Uplink IPs,

4 REPLIES 4
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If you have another router in front doing NAT, then you'll want to use a virtual IP so you have a single IP address to NAT to.

If you only have outbound browsing, and you are not worried about NAT failover, then I would just use the uplink IP's.  Using only the uplink IPs means you can survive the MX's going multi-master if something goes badly wrong.  You can also create a loop free layer two topology of you don't suffer the delay of a spanning tree failove.

If you are terminating VPNs then virtual IP can make the VPNs recover faster on a failure.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for the feedback,

This is my first time on Meraki Devices, in my case, i have one uplink link to ISP, 2 MX and 2 MS. This is to achieve redundancy incase their is a hardware failure. Could you advice the best setup to achieve it

What does that one uplink to your ISP use and does it have an Ethernet presentation?  PPPoE?  A static routed subnet?

It is critical that both MX's can plug into an Internet circuit and be able to talk to the Meraki cloud.

its static IP adress, ethernet

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels