Client VPN - SQL access issues

reditguy
Here to help

Client VPN - SQL access issues

Hi, when our users connect to VPN (Windows 10) they used to be able to access a client application on a SQL server host....but something recently happened on the host and now client VPN users are no longer able to access that application....we can ping the SQL host from the client device after connecting to VPN but no longer access the application, so my guess its some Windows firewall port or protocol on the SQL server blocking the traffic when it sees the traffic coming in via VPN because it works fine within the network,and its not as permission issue as I put the same client device on the network and it can access the application without any issues.

Any thoughts or ideas?

8 Replies 8
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The number 1 most common reason I run into for this is Windows firewall.  Most frequently, Windows firewall engages after a reboot when it suddenly thinks it is in a different zone.

On the SQL server check that Windows firewall is disabled.  If you want to leave it enabled make sure that SQL server access is allowed for outside of the local subnet,

I fully agree that it's likely the Windows firewall...can you give me some steps on how to do this on the host SQL side?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Go into Control Panel/Windows Firewall and disable it there.

Thanks, rather than disabling the whole firewall (security issue), is there specific settings within it I should enable/disable? ports? outside access? applications? Would love screenshots 🙂

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I would disable the whole thing first.  If it makes no different then that is not the issue.  If it is not the issue then just turn it back on again.

We disabled Windows firewall and AV compeltely from the security center (but Windows Defender firewall service was still on, greyed out so couldn't disable it)...and no luck.

I should add....we had Norton Firewall on the SQL server before and uninstalled it and then things stopped working...I disabled the 'Public firewall' portion of Windows Firewall and at least we were able to access it internally, but still having issues from the outside/VPN.

Hey there,

Old thread, but did you ever get this resolved?  I am encountering the EXACT same issue where all connectivity seems fine but my SQL client app won't connect suddenly across the Meraki VPN client connection.  Worked fine for months before randomly quitting.  Windows firewalls disabled on client and server.  Let me know if you found a fix.  Thanks!

KG_Husler
Comes here often

Please configure the Client software with an IP address of the Host Server basically your Server IP address where SQL is installed. I have a similar issue with a 2 tier application where a user can access the Server through a client application on a LAN network and when connected to a VPN the and open the client app it gave me an error message so there was an option to configure the client app with an IP address of the Server, then we were able to access the Database over VPN connection. Thank You 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels