Clear ARP cache on MX's in an HA pair

Solved
John_Sullivan
Conversationalist

Clear ARP cache on MX's in an HA pair

I'm being asked by a vendor to refresh our ARP cache.  Is it still the case that you have to reboot the MX to achieve this?  If you reboot the primary MX, will the ARP table simply transfer to the Secondary MX?  If so, do we need to physically remove power to both MX's at the same time?  

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it is necessary to reboot both, but why do you need to clear the ARP table?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes, it is necessary to reboot both, but why do you need to clear the ARP table?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Just to be clear, reboot both at the same time, correct?

I don't believe we really do, in fact, need to, but we're being requested to do so by a third party technology vendor as a troubleshooting step.  To comply, with their wish, I wanted to know what was involved.  

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@John_Sullivan, yes, both at the same time.

Yes.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I greatly doubt the primary and spare MX would synchronise their ARP cache.  They do a VRRP exchange and synchronize DHCP over udp/3483, but that is about it.
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Deployment_Guides/MX_Warm_Spare_-_High_Availability_Pair#DHCP_Sy... 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels