Cisco phone system over MX84 Site to Site VPN

Solved
DHAnderson
Head in the Cloud

Cisco phone system over MX84 Site to Site VPN

I have a client that has a WAN link between two sites.  There is a Cisco phone system that travels across that link.  At one site there is a MX84 and that is the site where the phone system is located.

I would like to replace the WAN link with a site to site VPN by placing a MX84 at the remote site. 

What is the best way to insure QOS across the site to site VPN?

Dave Anderson
1 Accepted Solution
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>What is the best way to insure QOS across the site to site VPN?

Buy an additional Internet circuit for each site.  Use one Internet circuit for Internet traffic (as primary) and the other for AutoVPN (as primary).

Use the "best for VoIP" built in SD-WAN policy to automatically use the INternet circuit that is performing best.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
merakichamp
Building a reputation

@DHAnderson  yes there is the best way to configure VPN and ensure QoS i hope the documention below will guide you  

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Site-to-site_VPN/Site-to-site_VPN_Settings

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

>What is the best way to insure QOS across the site to site VPN?

Buy an additional Internet circuit for each site.  Use one Internet circuit for Internet traffic (as primary) and the other for AutoVPN (as primary).

Use the "best for VoIP" built in SD-WAN policy to automatically use the INternet circuit that is performing best.

https://documentation.meraki.com/Architectures_and_Best_Practices/Cisco_Meraki_Best_Practice_Design/... 

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

We run a 9 site network with MX84 or MX100 HA pairs at each edge site and an MX250 pair in the primary DC.  Edge MXs are in routed mode with two WAN links and core MXs are in concentrator mode meaning you can have more than 2 links as they are terminated in a L3 switch.  The primary CUCM server is at the main DC and we have about 5-600 handsets.

Using the built in best for VoIP QoS rule we get perfect voice calls but sometimes the CUCM desk video calls aren't perfect.  I was going to try the no-NAT feature on the 15.x MX train but while talking it through I can't see how that would make any difference as the auto VPN builds the tunnel to be LAN-LAN.  Perhaps I'm wrong though?

We load balance all other traffic and have created a low latency rule to shove latency sensitive traffic down the best path dynamically and in combination with the built in rule is seems excellent.

All in all I'm very impressed how you can make realtime changes very easily and not only does it show the effects pretty much instantly with good graphs and flow logs, it doesn't disrupt ongoing traffic that you aren't selecting.

A** Meraki

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels