Changing Client Tracking to Unique Identifier means we lose ability to track clients on network

SimonReach
Getting noticed

Changing Client Tracking to Unique Identifier means we lose ability to track clients on network

We've changed over from the MAC address client tracking to Unique Client Identifier, to look at resolving the issues we're having with the 17.x and 18.x firmware slowing down our internet connection, but when the change was made, we lose the ability to identify which switch port clients are plugged in.

Our network is setup as 2x MX100s > 2x MS250s teamed together > MS210s teamed together.  Servers are plugged into the MS250s and the clients are plugged into the MS210s.

In the clients screen on MAC address client tracking, we can view the switch port a client is plugged into on the MS210s.  With the Unique Client Identifier, all the clients state that they're plugged into the aggregated switch ports that connected the MS250s to the MS210.

4 Replies 4
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What problem are you facing that makes it necessary to change the client tracking?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

When we update the MX100 at our headoffice from firmware 16.x to 17.x or 18.x, the internet at the site slows right down and a lot of websites will time out the first time you use it and then works fine when you refresh.

This is a well documented problem in the forums, a lot of people are stating that the issue is resolved by changing the tracking to the Unique Client Identifier if you have MXs with Meraki level 3 switches underneath them.

I'm not sure if  it will solve the issue, I suggest you open a support case.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

That is not the expected behaviour.  That is a bug.

Make sure the MS are running current stable firmware or better.  If they are, then open a support case.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels