Cell Phone Wireless Error Message

SOLVED
TownofMidland
Here to help

Cell Phone Wireless Error Message

I have a weird one.

We have a number of MX's providing our Wi-Fi via MR33's.

We recently purchased an MX67W and have encountered the following puzzling issue:

• Wi-Fi connectivity is fine and internet access is completely functional
  • When our mobile devices (Android, we have no iPhones) connect to to the MR33 AP's, everything is complete, 100% flawless   
  • Yet, when we connect to the MX67W wireless, the phones display the error message 'internet may not be available' yet, internet access is completely fine!
  •  Despite the message, I turn off the cell radio and can browse the internet, run speed tests, whatsmyip shows the correct answer.  So, internet access is working fine!

I have removed all geofiltering, I use GOOGLE DNS instead of our DNS filtering, I go back to factory settings and still the message appears, yet everything works.

I have stumped Merki support. I have done lots of GOOGLEing to no avail.

While this is not a show stopper it is an irritant to the end users.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TownofMidland
Here to help

Lots of trial and error indicates that if I set the Block Encrypted Search option, all GOOGLE web pages in general are blocked.

No other search engine is affected.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Richard_W
A model citizen

Sounds like an issue on the phones, any other devices show the same message? Do you have any iPhones to test with as well?

Exhaustive testing has shown that it is the Meraki device blocking GOOGLE web pages somehow. Name resolution is fine, it is just GOOGLE web pages that are blocked.
Support claims the configuration is OK but I am going to try a wipe and reload.

You don't have a layer 7 rule blocking advertising?

TownofMidland
Here to help

Lots of trial and error indicates that if I set the Block Encrypted Search option, all GOOGLE web pages in general are blocked.

No other search engine is affected.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels