Can't get meraki z3 to doll out ip address from vlans

Thomas2
New here

Can't get meraki z3 to doll out ip address from vlans

Hello all, thanks in advanced for taking the time to read this. I have recently purchased a Meraki Z3, setup my Meraki dashboard, assigned 3 year license to the device and network. 

Wan- dynamic -status shows up in dashboard and white light on z3

vlans- on and configured to ports 2 and 3

dhcp configured and on

wireless on for testing

the issue I'm having is the vlan ports won't give me ip address/dhcp when plugged directly into with laptop. 

But I do get ip addresses/ internet gateway when connected to the wireless. 

I will include screenshots

dhcp clan 1.PNGdhcp vlan 2.PNGvlans.PNG

4 Replies 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Thomas2 , first quick glance and your configuration looks fine. DHCP is working as you’re getting an address when on wireless.

Are you able to take a packet capture on the LAN side when connecting a device to one of the LAN ports?

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.

i used wire shark - here is a screen shot of when I plug ethernet cable from laptop into meraki vlan1

screen shot packet capture.PNG

AjitKumar
Head in the Cloud

Hi @Thomas2 

A few Ideas here.
1. How about try connecting another Laptop?
2. How about connecting the Laptop on other Port 4 / 5?

Regards,
Ajit
AjitsNW@gmail.com
www.ajit.network

Welp doesn't make any sense but ---- when I set vlans to ports 4 and 5 both those ports work correctly, however only when I set the allowed vlans to "all"  so I mimicked the settings on ports 2 and 3 - they still don't work. Soo am I wrong in thinking the ports 2 and 3 are bad? Tested with 2 different laptops they do the same thing regardless. Laptops are good and cables are good.  But now moving forward do I return this unit for another one... I have a company/ client that is dead in the water because their current one fried from a previous IT company. I can only order these online closest store is 3 hours 1 way. Or just order another one configure it as a warm spare with same settings to see if the issue is resolved.  But it technically is working on ports 4 and 5 - makes no sense if ports 2 and 3 are actually good BUT not working. Thanks for the help and suggestion on port 4 and 5. However if I set the vlan ports to each separate Vlan as apposed to all, it also doesn't work. But at this point I might just bite the bullet and get them back up temp for the mean time. bad ports..PNG

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels