Bonjour/Airplay across VPN

applec2400
Just browsing

Bonjour/Airplay across VPN

Hi, 

I'm currently looking for an answer to a question that's hopefully a simple yes or no.

But basically, I have a buildout of three retail stores that will be next door to each other. They require separate internet connections but because wifi would overlap I want to create a site-to-site VPN network using a MX64W at each location. I wanted to know if AirPlay/Bonjour would work across this so that each store would have visibility to any devices.

I know it can be forwarded across VLANs and it seems like it should work across VPN as you can bridge VLANs through that. I just haven't been able to find a solid yes or no answer. The reason I want to do this is so that the same SSID can be used at each location and it not matter which one a device connects to. 
5 Replies 5
BrandonS
Kind of a big deal

No, it won't work.   I follow your line of thinking and while I suppose it could maybe be possible to make such a thing work, it is just not how that protocol was designed to work.

- Ex community all-star (⌐⊙_⊙)
Bruce
Kind of a big deal

As @BrandonS stated, this won't work with the VPN solution you proposed, but there may be other ways of getting it to work - but you'd need to try them out.

Out of curiosity, if you're planning the same SSID at each location why the need for three internet connections? How are you planning to direct each stores traffic to the correct internet connection? And I'm not entirely sure how the Meraki Air Marshal will respond to 'seeing' the same SSID from a different Meraki Network (I'm sure that Air Marshal work on a per network basis, but happy to be corrected otherwise), which means you may also need some fine tuning of Air Marshal.

Maybe you can use a shared network with three SSIDs, one for each store, each with its own VLAN/subnet. You can then use the Bonjour Forwarding between them on the MRs or even on a MX in the shared network. For the internet connection, to keep them separate, you could use static default Source Routes on that shared MX to send the traffic from each SSID/subnet to a specific MX for internet access. The shared MX would also need internet connectivity through one or two of the other MXs too, but this shouldn't be to hard to achieve. This is just a thought in progress, so it needs some testing, and I'm sure others in here might have some input too to round out the solution (or to highlight the flaw in it).

The short answer is that these are independent and our contracts vary so I cannot rely on any one location to be around to provide internet for another location. Also, generally speaking, I'm not actually sure which location(s) it will be until anywhere between 2-4 weeks before opening so I have no time for a site survey or any lengthy install. Furthermore, the budget is extremely tight and doesn't allow for permitting/contracting to run ethernet between locations (also we have to get permission from the mall to do so). And this doesn't take into account storage, equipment rooms, or hallways between spaces which further degrade signal or increase cost of running ethernet. 

I also want a single SSID for training/troubleshooting/pre-staging purposes as well. It keeps every store on the same SSID and getting devices set up and dispatched much easier. 

Basically, what I want to do is to link three branches together, they just happen to be physically next door to each other (or very adjacent anyway) and have AirPlay/AirPrint devices work between them.

cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@applec2400 You could go for three MR access points and one internet connection with the MRs meshing together.  If one store closes, move the internet connection to a remining open site.  That way you should be able to get bonjour to work.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work. One, it can take 2-3 weeks to have an ISP complete an install, and two I can't guarantee that any signal is strong enough to mesh through walls, storage rooms, equipment rooms, or hallways. I have one store with a single MR33 and it's not strong enough for a printer to connect 30 ft away because of the walls in between. Plus, malls and shopping areas have multiple sources of interference. 

I wish it were that easy though.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels