Blocking some website with time range

SOLVED
mugrene
Here to help

Blocking some website with time range

Dear All,

I recently purchased MX68W-HW with LIC-MX68CW-SEC-3YR.

This security device connected and I can control / manage over the cloud.

Kindly I am asking how I can block some website like YouTube, Facebook, Netflix, etc... with time range.

For example, block those websites in working hours (i.e from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM) and allow access to those website during lunch time (i.e 1:01 PM to 1:59 PM) and then again block them from 2:00 PM to 5:30 PM.

In summary, I want to block some websites during working hours and allow access to those website during brake, lunch and hours after work.

Your assistant is highly appreciated.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @mugrene,

To do this you will need to apply the content filtering rules through a Group Policy.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Creating_and_Applyin...

I would think the best way is to create your GP with the schedule and content rules you want, and then apply it to the VLAN you want to enforce those rules on.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @mugrene,

To do this you will need to apply the content filtering rules through a Group Policy.

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Cross-Platform_Content/Creating_and_Applyin...

I would think the best way is to create your GP with the schedule and content rules you want, and then apply it to the VLAN you want to enforce those rules on.

Hi again;

I created a scheduled GP but it is not working

mugrene_0-1589897810182.png

Note that I am using a default vlan

Your guide will be appreciated

Hello @mugrene , 

If you are using default VLAN, then you should go to the clients you would like to use that group policy on and assign the group policy, you can do that in the client list and clicking on the client. Ensure that the group policy is either appending or overriding what you have in the default section, whatever is preferred for you. 

Let me know if that helps.

TheITWay
Getting noticed

Hello @mugrenel,

At this time, the content filtering section is applied to all the clients passing traffic through the MX. It does not have a configuration way to differentiate or schedule the filtering. 

However, it can be achieved using group policies ad mentioned previously. The change will be adding all the configuration you want to the group policy and override the default content filtering, or appending the previous default config with the new categories you would like to block. 

Regarding the scheduling, the group policies allow you to set the time when the group policy will be implemented. Selecting the time and assigning that group policy to your VLAN, it will make lunch and breaks better for the users. 

If you would like to know more regarding Meraki features and troubleshooting tips, you can check this out. 

starbuck
Here to help

Did you get this solved? I can't figure out how you allow Social Media sites at multiple time windows in each day.  As best I can tell you can only set one time range per day per GP.  I don't see anyway you could allow Social media during breaks & lunch within the same day (e.g. allow facebook access from 10:30-11am and again from 1pm-2pm)?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels