Building a reputation

Best Practice to add a Secondary WAN?

Hello

We have an office with 35 users with the following hardware:

Cisco Meraki MX75

Cisco Meraki MS120 x2

Cisco Meraki MR46 x5

Primary uplink of 200 \ 200 Mbps.

A secondary uplink - is being deployed now.

What best practices should I follow to configure the Secondary Uplink as a spare? (in case the primary goes down, I want the secondary to failover)

Is it ok to change or edit  the IP address of the secondary uplink via the Dashboard? or should I do it only via the local status page?

According to Meraki Support:chrome_Q1LFbDS8B6.png

"Note: Modifying the state (enabled/disabled) or addressing method (static/DHCP) of a WAN connection from Dashboard causes both WAN interfaces to reset, which results in a loss of connectivity on both Internet uplinks for up to 2 minutes. Therefore, it is recommended to only make changes during a planned maintenance window so that disruption is minimal."

chrome_wEWhUkH6SB.png

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can configure on the dashboard or on the local status page.

Just configure WAN 2 that won't cause any outages.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The first question is all your choice. Personally I like the primary/backup approach as long as the primary link is not saturated. Having no load-sharing makes troubleshooting much easier. But if you go to the max of ISP1 *and* both uplinks are equally fast, I would use load-sharing.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You can configure on the dashboard or on the local status page.

Just configure WAN 2 that won't cause any outages.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels