Basic Advice on MX65

SOLVED
Adster1972
Conversationalist

Basic Advice on MX65

Hi all, I'm new to these groups and new to Meraki and was wondering if I could just ask a basic question before I recommend Meraki to my clients.  One of my clients is about to open a branch office for 4 staff, the other 20 staff will remain in their main building.  I have been asked to provide network connection to the main office in the branch office, something I believe is very simple to do with Meraki kit.  My question is, do I literally just need to buy 2 x MX65 units and plug them into the internet connection and existing switches in both offices or do i need to replace their switches with Meraki one's as well? I'm looking to create the branch office VPN but also provide basic Firewall and Malware protection through these MX65's.  Would really appreciate your advice.

Thank you

Adam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GergelyK
Getting noticed

HI Adster,

if I understand you correctly your plan is to buy 2 x MX 65 and place one of them into the Main office and one in the new branch. If yes than it will be really easy.

Once you connect them to the internet and created your organization in the dashboard and add both Mx-65 to your inventory and of course created the 2 sites after it's up to the races. Just don't forget to point them to each other so they will pull up the Ipsec tunnel between themselves.

You don't need to connect Meraki MS series, you can use the legacy switches. I have a couple of branch offices that are using their old cisco switches and it is fully compatible. The only thing that you will not see them in your dashboard.

One thing what you also can conciser with your client is maybe a dual internet connection. So you can minimize any kind of downtime in case of an issue with one of the ISP. MX65 has 2 WAN connection.

I hope this information was sufficient.

Cheers,

Greg

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GergelyK
Getting noticed

HI Adster,

if I understand you correctly your plan is to buy 2 x MX 65 and place one of them into the Main office and one in the new branch. If yes than it will be really easy.

Once you connect them to the internet and created your organization in the dashboard and add both Mx-65 to your inventory and of course created the 2 sites after it's up to the races. Just don't forget to point them to each other so they will pull up the Ipsec tunnel between themselves.

You don't need to connect Meraki MS series, you can use the legacy switches. I have a couple of branch offices that are using their old cisco switches and it is fully compatible. The only thing that you will not see them in your dashboard.

One thing what you also can conciser with your client is maybe a dual internet connection. So you can minimize any kind of downtime in case of an issue with one of the ISP. MX65 has 2 WAN connection.

I hope this information was sufficient.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks very much Greg that is exactly what I wanted to hear, very much appreciate your advice, sounds like it will be quite straightforward!

I'm glad that I could help.
If you think you this fully answered your question, please mark it as solved with the previous reply 🙂

Cheers,
Greg
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels