Bandwidth monitoring with SNMP (WAN interfaces)

MSP-Damien
Conversationalist

Bandwidth monitoring with SNMP (WAN interfaces)

Hello everybody !

I am using an MX84.

I'm looking for a way to get the current bandwidth usage for WAN interface with SNMP.

I've made many research about it and found out many OID that could be usefull : 

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.InterfaceNumber -> Getting the total Incoming Octects from the interface number

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.InterfaceNumber -> Getting the total Outgoing Octects from the interface number

But i didn't find something that could give me the current bandwidth usage of WAN interface.

Any idea of how i could do that ?

Thanks for your help !

5 REPLIES 5
jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

Hi @MSP-Damien,

Can you please define what you mean by "current bandwidth usage"? Are you referring to the real time bytes/second being transferred? Are you asking for the amount of bytes transferred over time?

The OID's you found tell you how much data has been transferred, i.e. octects = bytes. Using that value you can calculate how much data was transferred between the current polling period, and the previous polling period, giving you an average over time. For higher resolution decrease the polling interval.

Hi @jdsilva,

Thanks for your reply !

That's correct, i'm referring to the real time bytes/second.

I was wondering if Meraki had some kind of special OID that could spare me calculus.

I'm going to try that !

Thanks for your help !

NeillMcG
Conversationalist

You will need to join your Meraki device to SNMP neighborhood.

First of all you need to decide which version of SNMP your are going to use. I normally go with version 2 which uses a community string to authenticate but the more secure would be version 3 which uses a combination of username/password.

Version 2 by default sets the community string to "public" which if I rememeber right is already set on the Meraki once SNMP is activated. As log as you use the same community string on the software you are using to monitor the network along with the Meraki it should display immediately.

Within the monitoring sofware I'm guessing you have a network map. Make sure on this network MAP you assign the correct port to the Meraki or it wont display statistics

Hello,

Can you help me with your last point?

"Within the monitoring sofware I'm guessing you have a network map. Make sure on this network MAP you assign the correct port to the Meraki or it wont display statistics"

In my SNMP dashboard, I only see the dashboard statistics but none of my devices.

Thanks to you

ESonemann
Here to help

Hi Guys. Please, help me?

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.1 - Is the INPUT bandwidth consumption per second on wan 1 on meraki 68?

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.2 - Is the INPUT bandwidth consumption per second on wan 2 on meraki 68?

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.1 - Is the OUTPUT bandwidth consumption per second on wan 1 on meraki 68?

1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.2 - Is the OUTPUT bandwidth consumption per second on wan 2 on meraki 68?

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels