Backup and restore for MX

Tamer_MERAKI
Comes here often

Backup and restore for MX

i want to know the steps to make backup and restore for MX

the question by another way i want to replace Meraki MX  by a new one with the same configuration 

6 REPLIES 6
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

You don't need to restore anything here. The config is applied to the Dashboard-network. When you remove the MX from the dashboard and add the new MX, it will fetch the config from the cloud and you are ok.

You only have to make sure the WAN IP (or IPs if you also use WAN2) is set so that the MX can connect to the cloud.

what do you mean by removing the MX  did you mean removing physically (disconnect the MX) and connect the new one instead 

No, although you'll remove the actual one physically when you want to exchange the device, I am talking about removing the MX from the dashboard network and assigning the new one.

thanks, this means i have to rewrite  all ip's  and subnets  and  vlans 

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Only on the WAN ports need configuring, and only if they don’t use DHCP (which is the default). You’ll need to power up the new MX, connect to the local admin page on the MX and set the WAN ports to match the existing MX - I.e. the static IP address or username and password if it uses PPPoE. The WAN port needs configuring so that the new MX can ‘talk’ to the Meraki cloud when you replace the existing device and pull the config from the cloud.

Bruce
Kind of a big deal

Have you looked at this document, https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Other_Topics/MX_Cold_Swap_Replacing_an_Existing_MX_with_a_Differ...? It describes replacing on MX with another, and also some of the things to watch for.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels