Azure vMX and vWAN BGP Peering

beta-389-user
Getting noticed

Azure vMX and vWAN BGP Peering

Hello,

Is it possible to do BGP peering with Azure vMX and vWAN Hub without VNET peering? I am told VNET peering between SDWAN VNET and vWAN VNET is absolutely necessary before even beginning with BGP configuration. I thought VNET peering is alternative to BGP routing for communication between vMX and vWAN. Currently my routing is acting strange because of this I believe as I am able to ping IP for which I don't see any routes in vMX route table. Any light on this?

5 Replies 5
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you checked the documentation?

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Border_Gateway_Protocol_(BGP)

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
MartinLL
Getting noticed

No, you must peer the VNET, but not in the regular way. You must go to your hub and add connect the sd-wan subnet that way.

BGP is not a replacement for VNET peering. BGP provides the routes, but VNET peering provides the actual path for the traffic.

You should see routes of all VNETs accosiated to the hub once you enable peering, and they share the same route table. Remember that you most likely need to configure BGP multihop. For that to work you must provide a "static" route site to site -> local network that points to the subnet where the BGP peers are. After that you set multihop to for example 5.

I have done that but still cannot receive the route from vWAN for Azure Spokes

ok, show me some configurations then. Maybe we can figure it out.

BGP, site to site, hub to Meraki Vnet and hub to a spoke vnet.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels