Keeping VPN connected when switching user accounts

cgree
Conversationalist

Keeping VPN connected when switching user accounts

I'm setting up my first VPN for an employee so they can connect to the office network while on their home PC. I also need to set up remote desktop so we can perform updates on the computer that the user doesn't have privileges for. The issue I'm having is that whenever I connect to the clients computer via Microsoft Remote Desktop the VPN is disconnected and I lose remote access to that computer. Is there a way the VPN can stay permanently enabled so the connection isn't dropped while switching user accounts? I've been hitting my head against the wall and ended up here, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If it's L2TP, no, with Anyconnect maybe. Why don't you use another tool like Anydesk?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cgree
Conversationalist

We are using L2TP. This is what my company has always used, would a program like Anydesk allow me to do what I'm trying to do? Thanks for the quick response.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Remote access, it's like teamviewer, do you know?

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

cgree
Conversationalist

I'm familiar with teamviewer and it seems like this could be a useful solution to my problem. Using Anydesk is it possible to log in to a separate user account from the windows home screen? The main purpose I'm using this for is updating QuickBooks which can only be done while logged in to an admin account.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Theoretically yes, but it's just a suggestion, teamviewer is great too.

This would be my suggestion also. Team viewer is a great tool that to you easily install and have remote access in a matter of minutes. There is different versions so your end users could also run it without needing to install anything. 

Thank you both for the suggestion. I'm going to set up team viewer and proceed with that for the time being. I appreciate the help!

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What you can usually do is a "run as administrator", and start a command prompt.  Then start running whatever you want from that command prompt.  No user switching needed then.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels