Anyone using Starlink as ISP behind Meraki MX firewall?

JohnP99
Conversationalist

Anyone using Starlink as ISP behind Meraki MX firewall?

Hello,

Just wanted to know if anybody is using Starlink as a remote ISP solution with any MX firewall for their business and if there is any oddities with your MX firewall? Company is looking to see if this would be an solution for remote offices and if this actually works well for business use?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I have many customers doing this.  Works great.

Also if you are in New Zealand - Starlink has a promo on at the moment.

starlink.png

RichardChen1
Getting noticed

My company in Australia is also looking. It'd be great to see any feedback or lesson learnt from any MX users.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Some tips:

• The Ethernet connectivity seems to have become an optional extra on the more recent models - order the Ethernet adaptor.  It has a single port.  You can only plug in a single MX.
  • There is an optional roof mounting kit you can order.
rsf
Conversationalist

I manage about 25 remote locations using Starlink with MX68CWs  - These are all locations where terrestrial circuits are either slow or too expensive.   Mostly the premium business dish, but a few residential v1 and v2s.   Since support can be on the slow side I keep a spare dish/cables/mount in case a hardware issue develops.    Performance has been great as long as the dish is free from obstructions.   Web,Teams, Voip, and autoVPN all work great w/Meraki.   Doesn't matter if the IP is public or CGNat.    

PatWruk
Getting noticed

We've used it in a lab to test the usefulness. The issues we've noticed are:

• Support is slow to respond and doesn't always give great answers
  • speed test from speedtest.net will show great speed, iperf3 over vpn does not
  • doesn't come with a built in way to connect the mx, need to order an adapter

Other than that, it is a lot cheaper than some options in the middle of nowhere, and better speed than a lot of them

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels