Anyone have any experience setting up an MX64 with internet being piped in from a Verizon Router?

Solved
CPARMUK
Here to help

Anyone have any experience setting up an MX64 with internet being piped in from a Verizon Router?

Verizon router in question is a NCM1100E. We're in the process of moving the set up from one location to another so we were hoping this cellular router would let us avoid too many unnecessary changes but as soon as I hooked it up the Meraki firewall starts throwing an 'Bad IP assignment configuration' error. There's nothing actually connected to the Firewall beside the Verizon cellular plugged into the 'internet' port. What is it talking about? I already changed the WAN 1 configuration to reflect the IP4 settings on the cellular router.

1 Accepted Solution
CPARMUK
Here to help

This has actually turned into a Cisco Switch problem but it turned out the Verizon Cellular router thing absolutely hates static IP's and would not work with the firewall until I changed the uplink to auto-negotiate those settings, that cleared the error. It works now but now my new problem is that I can't raise my cisco switch even though I can pick up that cellular internet through it for some reason. I still don't have office network access without the VPN but for now restoring internet is the priority. But that's probably a switch issue which means Cisco, not Meraki. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
javalins
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Can you clairfy what you mean when you say "I already changed the WAN 1 configuration to reflect the IP4 settings on the cellular router?"  If there was something connected to the MX64, maybe you have a bad arp table, have you tried rebooting the MX64?

If the cellular router just hands off DHCP to the device behind it, then we shouldn't need any configuration of the WAN 1 interface - this should be about as plug and play as plugging in a ethernet connection from a standard SP L3 demark like a DSL Modem.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

What i the IP configuration that you are using?

CPARMUK
Here to help

This has actually turned into a Cisco Switch problem but it turned out the Verizon Cellular router thing absolutely hates static IP's and would not work with the firewall until I changed the uplink to auto-negotiate those settings, that cleared the error. It works now but now my new problem is that I can't raise my cisco switch even though I can pick up that cellular internet through it for some reason. I still don't have office network access without the VPN but for now restoring internet is the priority. But that's probably a switch issue which means Cisco, not Meraki. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels