Any reason to keep x.x.128.x?

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Any reason to keep x.x.128.x?

It slightly bugs me to be using 128 instead of 1. Is there an unseen advantage to using .128. there instead .1 for simplicity? The only thing I can think of is if Im working with two NICs it makes it easier to know what interface Im on if theres differentiation. Thoughts? 

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Fortune 100 Tech veteran/refugee.
7 REPLIES 7
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Its  just a random  subnet. As far as i know.

No need to keep it.  

RumorConsumer
Head in the Cloud

Changed it. Seems fine.

Networking geek since high school where I got half of a CCNA. Played Marathon II and Infinity over localtalk.
Made many a network over the years, now de facto admin of a retreat center with some of this fine Meraki hardware.
Nash
Kind of a big deal

No need to keep 192.168.128.x. I would not use 192.168.1.0/24 or 192.168.0.0/24 if possible due to overlap. It’s commonly used by home networks and even some businesses. If you ever need to connect in via client VPN or have a third party tunnel, those two subnets can cause you a lot of grief.

Better to avoid or remediate if you can.

Ok great to know. Maybe I’ll switch it.

Any way to force clients to acquire new addresses from the dashboard?

A quick search points to no.

Nash
Kind of a big deal

Honestly, I’m (relatively) lazy and reboot things. Specifically, I tell my clients to reboot things. 😉 On most DHCP devices, that will force them to repeat the DORA process.

On the MX, you should be able to clear the lease table for a specific scope by temporarily disabling the dhcp server for the associated vlan. Disable dhcp server, save, wait a min. Re-enable, save, wait a min. 

Then restart dhcp devices or otherwise force a renewal. 

I rebooted lol

im nowhere near business critical

went with 192.168.3.0/24

less irritating than 128

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels