After firmware update 17.10 - WLAN, iOS devices are slow and App Store runs only after reload

SOLVED
PietroNet
Here to help

After firmware update 17.10 - WLAN, iOS devices are slow and App Store runs only after reload

Hi all,

After the firmware update to 17.10 are:
- WLAN iOS device very slow when loading information or web pages (often only after multiple reloads).
- Same with App Store
- Sometimes the device switches from WLAN to mobile network

With 17.9 we did not have the problems. (After rollback, OK)

Does anyone have the same problems? Solution?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

So for some reason you need to be on 17.10.2 before you can upgrade to 17.10.4, idk why but I was in the same boat until I upgraded one to 17.10.2 and then it let me go to 10.4

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I had the same issue, I rollback the firmware too.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
PietroNet
Here to help

Update: I did another test with a Windows 11 Lenovo Laptop. With v17.10, the update 22H2 hangs at download 100%. Same test with 17.9 - installation runs.

It is a WLAN problem and not an iOS issue.

RandyD
Here to help

Yes, after 17.10 very slow on all wireless devices.  Rebooted and power cycled, all without effect.  Not wanting to roll back to 17.9 because 17.10 fixed an issue with wireless clients not honoring L7 filter policy.  Arg... trade one problem for another :-(.

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

I have the same issue and will try to Rollback now and see 

harmankardon
Getting noticed

Is this happening on an MX with built in WiFi or on a network with MR devices?

In my case was MX with Built in WiFi

Yes, my MX67W with built-in wifi.

Yes, also a MX67W with built-in wifi.

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

I can confirm now all problems solved after the downgrade 

@Meraki I think think Meraki support need to take an action as it will force the upgrade again and fix that bug on 17.10

PietroNet
Here to help

Has anyone tested the newest firmware - 17.10.1? WLAN problems fixed?

The issue still happens.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Fliko
Conversationalist

Same issue on 17.10.1 for MX64W. Unusable stable release candidate.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I will test It, just to confirm.

alemabrahao_0-1666274776184.png

I tested It and the issue was not solved on 17.10.1.

Thanks for testing. 

I will test the new version (17.10.2)

Same issue guys.🙁

We ran into this as well, still on 17.10, but, I was able to at least work around this issue for a small branch office.

Create a policy group for IOS devices

Create a L3 Firewall rule to allow 17.0.0.0/8 (apples subnet)

Create a traffic shaping rule for subnet 17.248.190.0/24 (17.0.0.0/8 would also likely work) and set the DSCP tag to 46 (EF - Expedited forwarding)

Tell IOS users to turn off "Private wi-fi addresses for the wifi network connected to" https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211227

Move IOS users into correct policy group

Again, workaround for a small office, so does not scale too well, this was done on a MX64W

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Annoying they made it stable, now we cant roll out on 16.x anymore without calling meraki support.

imo Meraki really should always let you choose between 2 latest stable versions.(so a 16 and a 17 fw)

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

Anyone opened ticket with support on this issue ?

I created a ticket. No update yet.

I just opened a case as well to pile on to hopefully weight the priority a bit, as this has been going on for far too long.  

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

Any update?

Meraki automatically scheduled upgrade to 17.10.2 despite all IOS device will not work over the wireless. Crazy!

Yes, I just got bit by that as well.  Forgot to set my firmware upgrade to "Ignore".  Had to rollback to 17.9 again to correct performance issues on wireless.

sry, no news.

jimmn
Just browsing

Are these wireless issues happening on MR AP's or just MX's with built in wifi?

I have a MX with built-in wifi.

I can only confirm it happens on my MX64W with built-in wifi.  I do not have a separate AP.  

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

Any update ?

HaniAbuelkhair4
Getting noticed

I am going to open ticket now from my side and i think we need this upgrade as i am facing another issue with my MX67W as i have 3 SSID;s and one of the SSID's SSID1 in specific stooped working (No one can see it ) and the only solution after all the troubleshooting is to move the same config to SSID4 !!!

Not sure if you have same issue

NOCmx2022
Conversationalist

Same issue here, Did you try to disable content filtering?

Lurick
Getting noticed

Same issue here on 17.10 and 18.102 onwards. 18.101 works fine for wireless clients on an MX68. Haven't tried disabling content filtering yet, just sitting on 16.x

What is the last-known-good 16.x firmware?  I am tired of waiting for a fix for the 17.x series and want to ask support for a 16.x.  

Support actually responded and advised that 16.16 is the last-known-good 16 branch version.  I've asked them to make that available to me and I will give that a go to see if I can get back to full L7 filtering and expected performance on my wireless clients.  I've been a Meraki MX security appliance customer for over 5 years and never had this much trouble.  Sad to see the product line degrade like this.

OK, applied 16.16 and L7 filtering & performance appear to be normal and as expected at this point.  I will hold on this version until they resolve the 17.x issues.  I am keeping my case open until they fix the 17.x branch.

Still have issues with 18.105 on MX67W.  Had to once again rollback to 16.16 to maintain wireless client performance.

Lurick
Getting noticed

Yup, same thing for me. They really need to acknowledge this at a minimum and let us know they're working on it.

PietroNet
Here to help

I wanted to upgrade to the new version in the portal. Unfortunately, I still have 17.10.2. - Have you been able to test MX 17.10.4? What are your first experiences with it? Is the performance better?

So for some reason you need to be on 17.10.2 before you can upgrade to 17.10.4, idk why but I was in the same boat until I upgraded one to 17.10.2 and then it let me go to 10.4

I have applied 17.10.4 to my MX67W and so far, so good.  Both content filtering and performance seem to be working as expected.  However, according to the support engineer on the case I have open, this fix is NOT in the 18.x branch yet.  Recommend you do not allow the devices to upgrade to the 18.x firmware yet.  I guess you can call this particular topic for 17.x resolved but not overall as it relates to all current firmware releases.

Fliko
Conversationalist

Thx, seems fine.

Did you tried 18.107 from Apr. 12th?

Lurick
Getting noticed

I loaded 18.107 and that seems to have the fix too

Fliko
Conversationalist

Thx, I tried, it seem's ok!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels