Add MX into Cisco classic VRRP/HSRP setup?

Solved
MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Add MX into Cisco classic VRRP/HSRP setup?

Hi everyone,

May I ask, is there any chance to add an MX65/MX68 into a existing Cisco Classic VRRP/HSRP Setup?

I assume "NO", but just want to get sure, as they are two different vendors.

Regards

Marc

1 Accepted Solution
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

No it indeed isn't as you can't really configure anything about it.

Same goes for the switches where it is documented:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

"At this time Cisco Meraki MS Series switches can only be configured in pairs from the same family when using VRRP/Warm Spare. Integration with other vendors or platforms is currently not supported.

Ex. An MS250 can only be paired with another MS250."

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

No it indeed isn't as you can't really configure anything about it.

Same goes for the switches where it is documented:

https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/MS_Warm_Spare_(VRRP)_Overview

"At this time Cisco Meraki MS Series switches can only be configured in pairs from the same family when using VRRP/Warm Spare. Integration with other vendors or platforms is currently not supported.

Ex. An MS250 can only be paired with another MS250."

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @BrechtSchamp as expected...

This will make it much more harder for me to find a solution for the task I have to do 😞

MarcP
Kind of a big deal

Further question, anyway, @BrechtSchamp Would it be possible with other vendors or is this something which is not working with multiple vendors?

I am not used to these protocols since today :S

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

@MarcP wrote:

Further question, anyway, @BrechtSchamp Would it be possible with other vendors or is this something which is not working with multiple vendors?

I am not used to these protocols since today :S

VRRP is a standard (RFC 5798) yes so in theory, if you can align the parameters you should be able to make it work. But in practice... I guess it'll depend. Sorry for that answer 🙄.

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

VRRP is a standard (RFC 5798) yes so in theory, if you can align the parameters you should be able to make it work. But in practice... I guess it'll depend. Sorry for that answer 🙄.

So yes, but no. Meraki almost follows the RFC. Almost. They break with how the MAC of the Virtual Router is calculated. Instead of a multicast MAC with an OUI of 00:00:5e they use their own Meraki OUI of cc:03:d9 (in every instance that I've observed, they might use other OUI's too). Because they use this non-standard calculation for the Virtual Router MAC you won't be able to interoperate Meraki's VRRP with a standards based VRRP 😞

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5798#section-7.3

image.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels