Active-Active Configuration for MX-250

Abdullah_Pracha
Comes here often

Active-Active Configuration for MX-250

I want to setup my MX-250 hubs in active-active mode. Currently the throughput on one hub maxes out occasionally, causing issues. Is it possible I can split my spokes on each hub?

12 Replies 12
RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

From what I'm reading your MX250s are running in HA ( warm spare ) ? if so , they can't be in active-active. You would need to either split the HA and run them in standalone mode or buy 2 more appliance and 1 licence.

Yes, they are running in HA (warm spare). So if I split and run them in standalone mode I wouldn't be able to get redundancy.
Also how can I configure them in standalone mode?

Exactly you will lose the redundancy. Before going that way , are you running MX 18.2++ ?

Thanks for telling that, and yes its running 18.107.x. 

MX18.2 offers quite a boost in performance for your MX250. That might save you until you make you choice about your design

is there any guide where I can find how to configure it in standalone mode, I think a separate network would be created for each of them

Edited reply since not related to OP problems

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Wrong thread?

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I got an error that I had never seen before. When I replied on the correct thread , it said that my post was deleted due to a spam protection feature ( too many replies with the same message ). I never posted this here... strange. Will edit

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

*Edited to remove HA terms that might be confusing

Keep in mind there are two common ways to deploy redundant MX hubs. The most common way is active / spare. Two MXs, one license and only the primary is doing all the work.

Another way to deploy hubs is in a active / active config. Both are licensed, in their own dashboard networks, both are active. This type of deployment allows you to use both hubs and split the spoke load. You can still plan for redundancy depending on what type of failure you think is most likely. Meaning, if you think the most likely scenario is losing one hub then make sure the remaining hub can handle all the spokes while the other hub is offline.

Many large customers deploy hubs all as active and use horizontal scaling for size and resiliency.

Ryan / Meraki Solutions Engineer

If you found this post helpful, please give it Kudos. If my answer solves your problem please click Accept as Solution so others can benefit from it.

Is there any guide which I can follow for the 1+1 configuration?

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If the MX250s are in pure VPN concentrator mode then you can buy an additional licence, and put them into separate networks, and pull it all together using BGP.  You will need a network core than can talk BGP as well.

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Networks_and_Routing/Border_Gateway_Protocol_(BGP)

If you need to buy an additional licence I would consider how long is left on your current licence, and riding it out till that expires and put the money into bigger MXs at that time.

This is a sizing guide to help you choose an appropriate model.
https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/MX_Sizing_Information/MX_Sizing_Principles

MX450s would be the next model up at the moment.

https://meraki.cisco.com/product/security-sd-wan/large-branch-campus-concentrator/mx450/

Cisco's end of financial year is July 31st.  If you could commit to placing an order by then Cisco Meraki would be all over you with discounts on an MX450 upgrade ...

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels