802.1x on MX Ports

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

802.1x on MX Ports

Hi Meraki Gugus,

In the past it was possible to configure 802.1x or MAC authentication on MX ports. See Link .This option is not anymore possible in the Dashboard. Does Anybody know how to do it now?

Thanks for any Help.

Michel 

13 Replies 13
kYutobi
Kind of a big deal

Security & SD-WAN / Access Control

Enthusiast
MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hi All,

Thanks for all this replays. It seem to be a bigger Problem. I will ask this to my Swiss Meraki Engeneer.

Yeah that was an annoying caveat I only found out recently. I still don't understand why it isn't there. Seems like a software thing to me...

Nash
Kind of a big deal

@BrechtSchamp wrote:

Yeah that was an annoying caveat I only found out recently. I still don't understand why it isn't there. Seems like a software thing to me...

Maybe bringing it in line with other models? I don't know. Just realized 64s, 65s, and Zs were the only things that ever supported it. 

BrechtSchamp
Kind of a big deal

Well it should be supported in 68 too. I mean, the 68cw is practically designed to be used as a branch in a box solution. So endpoints will connect to it directly. And they will likely be very accessible too in that case. So .1x makes a lot of sense.

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

Which MX are you trying this on?

ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

currently stil only on mx 64 and 65 models. port has to be set to access

SoCalRacer
Kind of a big deal

MX68 and 802.1x 

There is the thread. I opened a ticket with support then and confirmed not available on all 67 or 68 devices with 15.13. Might be different now that 15.15 is available, but none of the release notes indicate that.

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

MX67-68 still don't support .1X with the latest Beta software and doesn't seem to be in their roadmap either.
Nash
Kind of a big deal

@RaphaelL interesting. Have you heard anything about why it's not on the map, or is this gut feeling?

Mango
Conversationalist

I would love to know if this is ever supposed to be available on the MX67/68. I would also wonder why was it left off in the first place?

MichelRueger
Building a reputation

Hi all,

I just got thee information from a Meraki Guru that the MX67 and MX68 will get 802.1x soon true a software update.

So lets wait and see 🙂

There appear to be a couple threads on this so I'm cross posting.  Here is a post I made recently about the latest beta firmware update that seems to restore this feature.

https://community.meraki.com/t5/Security-SD-WAN/MX68-and-802-1x/m-p/73423/highlight/true#M18391

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels