18.2xx - VIP Broken

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

18.2xx - VIP Broken

Just an FYI to others, but I have dual MX setup (primary/warm-spare) and I use a VIP on both my WAN1 (DIA) and WAN2 (MG51 cellular) connections.

VIP function works on 18.107.2, but upgraded to 18.207 and VIP function stopped working.

Only noticed because I happen to be running PCAPs to test something else, but also confirmed via ARP table on MG51 not showing the VIP anymore. Downgraded, and PCAPs and ARP both showing correctly.

Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
11 Replies 11
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen, I've had a case like this with a client in the past.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
cmr
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Thanks @NolanHerring the only MX I've got 18.2 running on at the moment is a Z3 and that seems okay with it, the MX75 I tried was not stable at all.  I think it's a bit of an alpha release at the moment, which is unusual as most of the betas that I've installed over the years have been excellent quality releases with limited edge case issues.  Here's hoping 18.20(8+) is a return to usual service 🤞

Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

What specifically stops functioning? I have a MX67 HA pair in my lab running 18.2 and using VIPs and I haven't spotted anything unusual.

So if I run a PCAP from the MG51 LAN, all traffic is coming from the static IP on either FW1 or FW2. Not the VIP. If I look at the ARP table, the VIP doesn't exist.

If I downgrade firmware to 18.107.X - Then I do see the VIP on PCAPs and ARP table. 

That's basically all I have to verify if its working or not. It's currently remote so I'm not able to do any actual fail-over testing but I would expect results to not be as quick as if the VIP is functional.

Also not sure if this is specific to MX85 hardware or not.

TwitterLinkedIn

Oh and the Case I had opened, the engineer confirmed this is a known issue and its already being tracked. 

TwitterLinkedIn

Ok I will check with Support. In my testing I've seen no issues when failing a WAN or both WANs of the primary. 

Sounds good, appreciate the assist. I never would have noticed it had I not happen to be PCAPing for another issue, so it was luck that I stumbled across it.

TwitterLinkedIn

It would be nice if all the known issues would be added to the firmware change log.

It would prevent other clients from installing the version and experiencing all the issues again

I'll just say there's a lot of detail missing from this thread. So I wouldn't make any decisions or assumptions based off what's being said here at the moment 😉

RaphaelL
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Yes I know. But I have seen a couple posts about bugs that are "known" but not listed yet in the changelogs. 

Known listed issues for 18.2 are pretty much non-existent 😕

NolanHerring
Kind of a big deal

I see 18.208 is out but I've not been able to test to see if the issue is resolved or not.

TwitterLinkedIn
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels