snmp

Michal314
New here

snmp

Hi,

Does Meraki Go support SNMP? How to activate it?

5 REPLIES 5
hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

Hey @Michal314 

There is no SNMP as of today, but it is certainly not off the table as a feature request. This is somewhat more of an advanced feature I'd expect of service providers or power users. Do you mind me asking what your use case is?

Hey @hidden0 

Thanks for the answer. I need SNMP to monitor the device and ports status.

I've thought all cisco switches support SNMP.

I manage Meraki wireless in the workplace and this supports SNMP. I suspect this is one of the feature Cisco remove as part of the less advanced Meraki Go offering. I’d certainly make use of it but feel Meraki Go is missing far more important features which I’d want to see implemented first. 

hidden0
Meraki Alumni (Retired)
Meraki Alumni (Retired)

I completely respect that point of view @LouisN5 . We're always treading a fine line in feature development, especially regarding implementing an entire service like an SNMP daemon on the device. The performance and capacity of all hardware is finite, and to continue to add features such as SNMP onto the product at this stage may very well serve to degrade the situation as opposed to improve visibility and ease of management.

The Cisco Meraki enterprise product line was built with these considerations in mind. As such, features like SNMP, syslog, and other advanced features are readily available.

Out of curiosity, what other important features do you believe Go should have?

As a Meraki GX20 user,  I was a little bit disappointed as it is sold as a "firewall router" ,because  I expected to see more details regarding the Network and Firewall features: 

- having a view on the interfaces and ip addresses on the router is limited

- a view on the route table is missing

- a view on the Firewall policies is missing

- implementing a basic FW policy based on Source/destination IP and service would be nice

- get more insights in traffic an traffic logs

- possibility to enable sheduled policies

- Even with the advanced license, the details regarding malware policies , fishing policies, content filtering etc are not visible.

It's indeed very easy to install, but configuration and visibility on the configuration is also very limited.

I hope visibility in general can be improved.