Resolve "Alerting" status

SOLVED
jel
Here to help

Resolve "Alerting" status

I just installed a full Meraki GO setup in my office this weekend including a Security Gateway, 24 Port Switch and two GR10 AP's.  Unfortunately something just isn't working correctly.  The gateway and one AP are showing Online, but the switch and the other AP are showing "Alerting" status for well over 24 hours.

I've power cycled and disconnected/reconnected everything to no avail.

I have a ticket open with support but haven't heard back and I have an office full of people coming to work in the AM who need connectivity.

Any ideas on a resolution?

IMG_DD59B9AD714C-1.jpeg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Oddly enough, since I posted this message the other two devices have come online and appear to be OK. I won’t be at the office to check first hand until tomorrow AM. 

As for IPs, I’m referring to wired and wireless clients on the network. It seems the APs were issued 192.168.x.x addresses and all the other clients have 10.x.x.x ones. I’ve always seen every device on a LAN have the same first two, but perhaps that’s not an indication of anything being right or not. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
VincentPanico
Getting noticed

Hi jel!

Can you give me an idea about the topology of the network? Is the switch plugged directly into the Security Gateway? And the two APs are plugged into the switch?

Cable Internet to Modem

Modem to Security Gateway

Security Gateway to a port on the switch

Each AP wired directly to the switch and using PoE

And another clue:  All the clients are getting what seem to be very random IP addresses.  I'm not a networking expert by any means, but I thought a LAN always had the first two digits of an IP address the same.  That is NOT happening for some reason, though it's possible my understanding of LANs and IP addressing is wrong.

If you click on each device, does it give you an error that tells you why it's in the alerting state?

Regarding the IP addressing: are you talking about wireless clients? If your SSID is set to use NAT mode, this is expected functionality. You can check that by clicking "Settings" in the bottom right, scrolling down and expanding "Advanced settings," and selecting "Wireless address translation mode." If you select your SSID, it will show you if it is in NAT or Bridge mode. Before changing it to bridge mode, go back to the advanced settings, and make sure the DHCP server under "Local network addressing" is enabled. Also, (I believe) NAT mode is required on the SSIDs that you want to use Guest networking features.

Oddly enough, since I posted this message the other two devices have come online and appear to be OK. I won’t be at the office to check first hand until tomorrow AM. 

As for IPs, I’m referring to wired and wireless clients on the network. It seems the APs were issued 192.168.x.x addresses and all the other clients have 10.x.x.x ones. I’ve always seen every device on a LAN have the same first two, but perhaps that’s not an indication of anything being right or not.