GX50 and VPN

SOLVED
dpgx81
Here to help

GX50 and VPN

Hi all,  

I received my GX50 over the weekend and performance is significantly faster than what I was seeing with my GX20.  I'm very happy with the product so far, however I am not seeing anywhere to configure remote access.  Is there an eta for when this functionality ctionality will be added?  Also wondering if there will be a tunnel all option so remote devices can take advantage of the Umbrella functions and firewalling when remote.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ArtMarshall
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

Hi there - we're reorganizing our documentation a bit. Here's the direct link to Client VPN setup on the GX50.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Camfj141
Here to help

What speeds are you seeing on it? If you don't mind sharing. 

Wired I'm seeing 500 Mbps (the speed I pay for from ISP), from GR10's I'm seeing 450 to 480 depending on device and how far away I am located.  

speakerfritz
A model citizen

glad to hear you received yours.

I ordered mine on Amazon 10 days ago and it has not shipped yet...phooey.

Sorry to hear, that's frustrating!  Did you order from the third party seller that initially posted or from Amazon when they delisted for a brief period?

That’s the problem

my firewall , switch, and 2 ap’s came from the Amazon Meraki store.

the gx50 is on order thru the Cisco store.  They must be catching their own passes.

I just cancelled my gx50 order placed with the Amazon Cisco store.  They obviously do not have any and we’re just catching their own passes.

I’ll buy one when they pop up on the Amazon Meraki store.

dpgx81
Here to help

Quick update, the iOS app appears to have the proper settings, I don't have my Umbrella license yet to see if we can use tunnel all + that for a DNS provider, I'll update again once I've activated that.

ArtMarshall
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

Hi there - we're reorganizing our documentation a bit. Here's the direct link to Client VPN setup on the GX50.

KnoppConsulting
Comes here often

Is it only possible for a GX50 Admin to use client VPN?  Do I need to add each person as an admin with "Read Only - Prohibit this admin from making any changes"  Seems strange to not be able to add an end user without making them an admin... thanks!

Did you ever figure out if there was a way to allow other users without making them admins?

As far as I know there currently is no way to do so.  I'm hopeful that will be changed in the very near future because they can still at the very least login to the Meraki Go Dashboard as read only... that's still too much for some users though!

As of late March 2023 there is still no way to do this. I agree that even a read-only admin is too much access for a user who really only needs to be able to connect to the VPN. I've opened a ticket with Meraki-Go support and asked them to consider this a feature request.

I'm surprised they haven't addressed this yet and am a bit disappointed. Other than this issue I'm pretty pleased with the performance and ease of setup. Just don't want a half dozen admins when all they really need is VPN.

😕

NETITCY
Comes here often

You have to add the user under guest

My issue is that I can VPN using an iPhone or iPad, but not with a windows laptop. Anyone can help me with this?

vpn_gx50.jpg

Xydocq
A model citizen

hi @NETITCY 

did you edit the Registry on the windows laptop?

if not, have a look at Configure L2TP/IPsec server behind NAT-T device - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn or do a google search for "vpn l2tp windows registry" there's plenty of tutorials out there.

hope this helps