GX20 not connecting to modem

JohnWhitford
Here to help

GX20 not connecting to modem

My problem with my first GX20 is that with a direct connection to my spectrum modem it will not operate or connect to the cloud. If I connect it to my existing router switch port it WILL connect to the cloud? I have tried all the resets and reboots and even delete from account and re add. It will never operate or connect to the cloud when wire directly to modem. The lights change colors then go to solid red forever. Any ideas? 

9 REPLIES 9
Lee
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

John,

I'd recommend contacting support, but in my experience cable modems can hold onto DHCP leases of the previously connected device and refuse to issue an IP address to the next device that is connected. Try rebooting the modem with the new device connected if you haven't already. I'd also recommend setting up your first SSID when connected to the existing router and making sure it's set to auto NAT. https://documentation.meraki.com/Go/Meraki_Go_-_When_Bridge_Mode_is_not_Available_(Auto_NAT). The public IP you'll be issued from the modem when connected directly requires you to be in NAT mode, not bridge mode for the SSID. 

Lee

Thanks LEE but I have not even got to a AP, I am having problems with the GX20 coming online. Sorry I said gr10, opps its the router GX20. 

Got it. I'd suggest setting up through the app with the GX20 connected to your existing router if you haven't already. Connect to the cable modem, then reboot the cable modem. Hopefully that forces the cable modem to release the old IP address allocated to the existing router.  

Yep Lee did that many times to no avail. I even left off for 24 hours no resolve. 

As a troubleshooting step, what happens if you connect your laptop directly to the cable modem?

Connects just fine within seconds

any other thoughts?

John,

I see you've opened a support ticket. The support team have access to more tools and information than I do, so they'll follow up with you. 

Lee

Any Update to this?  I just connected my gx20 router to my Spectrum Cable modem last night.  I'm able to get everything working through the router and the Meraki-Go app is seeing the devices and types of traffic.  My problem is slightly different from the original poster.  When I go to the app, under Hardware, it shows that my device is alerting (although the LED is white) and when I go into the device, it shows "Has never connected to the Meraki cloud".  It doesn't show an IP address for the device either.

Any ideas?  I have not rebooted the spectrum cable modem.