DCHP Handout

SOLVED
RyanG
New here

DCHP Handout

Hello - I see these can use bridge mode, thus sharing the LAN.  If I am currently looking to replace my WiFi router with a Meraki-Go device, do I still need a router between my modem and the Meraki-Go?  I am wondering how DCHP or IP registration occurs if there is no router in the mix.

I am assuming that I will have to have a router between the provider modem and the meraki-go AP.

Thank you!

Ryan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GoJoe
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

Hey @RyanG,

You are correct, for most situations, you will want to have a router between your Modem and Meraki Go Access Point.

While Meraki Go does not recommend using a Meraki Go Access Point as a network router, you can leverage something called Auto NAT, which will give you NAT functionality, as well as the ability to configure Client Isolation on or off. More information about that can be found here. As mentioned, this is not the recommended deployment, and instead, a dedicated router should be placed between your modem and access point.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GoJoe
Meraki Go Team
Meraki Go Team

Hey @RyanG,

You are correct, for most situations, you will want to have a router between your Modem and Meraki Go Access Point.

While Meraki Go does not recommend using a Meraki Go Access Point as a network router, you can leverage something called Auto NAT, which will give you NAT functionality, as well as the ability to configure Client Isolation on or off. More information about that can be found here. As mentioned, this is not the recommended deployment, and instead, a dedicated router should be placed between your modem and access point.

Great, thank you for the information.  Now Meraki-Go needs to come out with a cheaper MX device 😄