cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What about GPON

Mju
Here to help

What about GPON

Just wondering if Meraki has any plans for some GPON equipment.

8 REPLIES 8
Kind of a big deal

Re: What about GPON

Typically GPON is deployed with a standard copper Ethernet presentation.  So there is nothing Meraki need to do.

How is it being deployed in your country that prevents it working with Meraki?

Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I took this to mean that @Mju is looking for a device to terminate the *PON fibre, likely onto the Internet side of an MX. 

This is only my opinion, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. I don't see how it would make sense for Meraki to get into that business.  

Kind of a big deal

Isn't GPON a MNO gig?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Ubiquiti has a whole selection for that stuff. I don't see Meraki ever getting into that world.

https://fiber.ubnt.com/
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn
Kind of a big deal

UBNT supplies kit to many regional and niche operators. As far as I am aware, this is not a market Meraki intends operating in.
Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Comes here often

GPON fiber solutions is typically just a layer 2 transport so though the gear may not  be Meraki, I don't see why you couldn't have a Meraki switch connected to a GPON ONT through your fiber cabling to a GPON OLT where it uplinks to a Meraki core/MX Appliance.  Network topology view would still show non-Meraki components as long as it supports CDP/LLDP.  Maybe I am wrong, my wife says I am all the time.

Kind of a big deal

Time to upgrade your wife.
Mju
Here to help

i was planning to use it for a small FTTH project with 200 users.

I know there are others vendors, but i just think it would be nice to have meraki end to end.

And also have a enabled API network gear...

Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.