What about GPON

Mju
Here to help

What about GPON

Just wondering if Meraki has any plans for some GPON equipment.

10 REPLIES 10
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Typically GPON is deployed with a standard copper Ethernet presentation.  So there is nothing Meraki need to do.

How is it being deployed in your country that prevents it working with Meraki?

jdsilva
Kind of a big deal

@PhilipDAth I took this to mean that @Mju is looking for a device to terminate the *PON fibre, likely onto the Internet side of an MX. 

This is only my opinion, but I doubt that's ever going to happen. I don't see how it would make sense for Meraki to get into that business.  

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

Isn't GPON a MNO gig?

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

Ubiquiti has a whole selection for that stuff. I don't see Meraki ever getting into that world.

https://fiber.ubnt.com/
Nolan Herring | nolanwifi.com
TwitterLinkedIn

UBNT supplies kit to many regional and niche operators. As far as I am aware, this is not a market Meraki intends operating in.
Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
RobT
Comes here often

GPON fiber solutions is typically just a layer 2 transport so though the gear may not  be Meraki, I don't see why you couldn't have a Meraki switch connected to a GPON ONT through your fiber cabling to a GPON OLT where it uplinks to a Meraki core/MX Appliance.  Network topology view would still show non-Meraki components as long as it supports CDP/LLDP.  Maybe I am wrong, my wife says I am all the time.

PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Time to upgrade your wife.

We have a similar setup. However, we cannot pass VLAN information from the Meraki MX to the Meraki switch. DHCP Dies through the Calix GPON ONT to the Access Point Clients. DHCP is fine however from the AP's  isolated NAT10.0.0.0/8 

I have been searching for a solution to this for a very long time. 

If the access point is connected directly to the ONT Bridged DHCP is fine. However, if it goes through a Switch  I get no DHCP from the local network.

Mju
Here to help

i was planning to use it for a small FTTH project with 200 users.

I know there are others vendors, but i just think it would be nice to have meraki end to end.

And also have a enabled API network gear...

TBHPTL
A model citizen

Use the GPON as dumb transport only. Tunnel the APs back to an MX on the OLT side...

several options...

TBHPTL_0-1688148412285.png

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.