SFP Port Plugs

Twitch
Building a reputation

SFP Port Plugs

Hello to the crew. I was wondering if anyone can offer a recommendation for a plug to use in empty SFP ports to keep steel dust out of them? I work for a structural steel fabricator and our switches in the shop live a rough life despite our efforts to the contrary. I would like to close the empty fiber ports to protect them from the elements. The pic below shows how the steel dust builds-up around the ports, and it infiltrates every nook and cranny of every piece of technology we use in the shop. Sometimes I feel like this is the place where technology comes to die - it's just not tech-friendly. Even the racks with fans and filters are not able to keep the dust out of the switches. 

Any suggestions? I don't suppose there is an official Meraki plug available that is the exact dimensions? 

Thanks! 

Twitch

Twitch_0-1607959539422.png

2 REPLIES 2
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @Twitch ,

The tech hardware graveyard!

I feel your pain.  A few years ago I was involved with deployments in to new build shopping centres.  We were always being asked to install our switches whilst the main build works were going on despite our protests that dust etc isn't good for the kit.  After one weekend we were called back in as all the kit had failed due to a decorator sand blasting the walls in the core comms room.  Hundreds of thousands of pounds down the drain.  We weren't liable as we'd advised against but the main contractor was adamant to get the kit in!

With regards dust protectors etc...what about these:

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Port-Dust-Cover-CK-SFPCOVER/dp/B00CLX8MHW

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Twitch
Building a reputation

Hey Darren - that's crazy, but par for the course. Folks just don't think about the environmental conditions when it comes to technical equipment. You can talk until you're blue in the face about it, but the negative impact never reaches the gray matter on the receiving end. By the time they finally realize the extent of the problem, it's too late. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that's exactly what I'm looking for. 

Cheers!

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.