Documentation Digest (May 24 - June 24, 2019)

CameronMoody
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Documentation Digest (May 24 - June 24, 2019)

Hi Community,

Below are the most important changes to our documentation between May 24 - June 24, 2019:

Week of 6/17

MX84 Overview and Specifications
Change: Updated maximum LAN clients to 200 to match the datasheet.

Run Dark Mode
Change: Added MR45 and MR55 to list of models that support dark mode.  Added a note that the “Blink LEDs” tool overrides dark mode.

Auto Channel
Change: Updated navigation steps for excluding DFS channels.

Week of 6/10

Supported USB Modems
Change: Moved modem “Novatel Wireless Global Modem USB730L” from current to EOS table.

Packet Capture - MS Switches
Change: Added note stating MS120 and MS125 do not support dashboard-based packet captures from ports connected to other MS switches in the same network.

MX Cellular - TMobile Support
Change: Added TMobile as a certified carrier.

Location Analytics - Proximity Graph
Change: Added note stating “If clients are using randomization techniques, location analytics may be detecting falsified/anonymous client IDs, and this should be considered when analyzing location data.”

Client VPN
Change: Added note stating “Establishing a client VPN connection when the client is located on the LAN of the MX is unsupported.”

Port Management Privileges
Change: Clarification on where settings for port privileges are located for combined and non-combined networks.

Billing for Wireless Access
Change: Removed a step from "configuring SSIDs" for billing regarding adding specific "free users" as this is no longer an option.

Week of 6/3

Product Firmware Version Restrictions

Change: Add MS450 and specified min firmware as MS11.

Switch Ports

Change: Added loop guard under the STP guard options.

Site-to-site VPN Settings

Change: Added note that subnet translation is only supported for AutoVPN and no non-Meraki peers.

Scanning API

Change: All technical content moved to the Dev Hub

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki
5 REPLIES 5
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

YES please keep these coming!

Yup! I love seeing this. Please keep doing it.

Uberseehandel
Kind of a big deal

@CameronMoody 

Cameron - you might want to add the mobile phone network EE as compatible with the LTE modem in the Z3C-HW-WW. Apart from myself, I know that it was tested in the London Meraki office by network engineer Connor Loughlin. EE is the network most favoured by corporates and professionals. So it is a good name to put up as compatible. I've got it working in the basements of London hospitals and on the High Speed train.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel

@Uberseehandel ,

I think our documentation was unclear, so I rephrased and added some clarity for all documents mentioning compatible carriers.

"Carrier compatibility is based on Meraki device certifications being approved by the carrier. A carrier being listed [on the certified carriers list] means that they have certified Meraki's product for their cellular network. Although Meraki can test networks and many unlisted carriers may be functionally compatible with Meraki devices, the list of certified carriers is based on the carrier validating Meraki, and not the other way around."

EE Limited is a GCF-listed carrier and likely works with the product, but they have not certified our devices yet.

Hopefully that's a bit more clear now!

Cameron Moody | Product Manager, Cisco Meraki

@CameronMoody wrote:

@Uberseehandel ,

. . . .

"Carrier compatibility is based on Meraki device certifications being approved by the carrier.  . . . , the list of certified carriers is based on the carrier validating Meraki, and not the other way around."

. . . 

Thanks for the clarification.

As somebody who has worked with some of the larger UK/EU/Latin America MNOs, I can see that there might be a problem with the Meraki approach to acquiring the required device certifications, unless Meraki has a team which reaches out to the various carriers and provides an environment that the carriers may use to acquire the required "certification".

I wonder who Cisco and Meraki have their own mobile phone contracts with in the UK.

Robin St.Clair | Principal, Caithness Analytics | @uberseehandel
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.