Migrate device from another company's account to mine

HL1
New here

Migrate device from another company's account to mine

Hi all,

I have never done this and hence the question  🙂

When I takeover devices (and the entire site) off from another company, are there any options to:

1.  Transfer the Meraki license to my company?

2.  Save the Meraki config on MX and MS so when I transfer them to my org, I won't have a blank config (as that would incur an outage which I do not want).

Cheers,

HL

3 Replies 3
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

First you need to create the new organization and network. After that you need to replicate the settings (not like copying from one organization to another), manually or export the settings via API.

Finally you can remove the device from the current organization and add it to the new one.

About moving the licenses, follow the link explaining about it.

https://documentation.meraki.com/General_Administration/Inventory_and_Devices/Moving_Devices_between....

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
KathleenJ
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Hi HL1,

If I'm understanding this correctly it sounds like your company has acquired another company that also uses Meraki. Can you please confirm this because Meraki licenses are not transferable. Personally, I would reach out to your reseller and ask them how you can transfer the licenses. It may just be a case where you need to run two networks in parallel until you are able to obtain licenses for the MX and MS under your company name. 

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

hi @HL1  - done this a million times in the past when merging two Organisations.

If i understand your requirement correctly:

- You have your existing Meraki network/Organisation in your dashboard and you wish to ingest the other company in some shape or form?

With regards the other company - does the network admin still exist within the company as they'll be needed to request the licence transferal (as they own the licences).

Build out the new Network in your Organisation - if you're able to export all the existing configuration via API or if a small network just have both Networks open side by side and copy the configuration over. 

At a convenient time (outage allowed) unclaim the devices from the old Org and then import into your.  

Once complete reach out to Meraki support to have the old licences moved into your dashboard.  This is allowed as i've done it a lot in the past.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.