Meraki VPN

Solved
dustyt
New here

Meraki VPN

I feel like this was a Windows 11 problem a year or so ago, but new laptop, new VPN connection being created.  I had thought things patched up since then, but maybe I'm just missing a specific Windows update KB that causes this problem.  My older windows 11 laptop has the exact same settings, etc and works fine, so I'm at a loss.

I followed the steps exactly on https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Client_VPN_OS_Configuration

We use a pre-shared key, no typos there, using same login info as my Meraki Dashboard which logs in perfectly fine.

1 Accepted Solution
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Windows Error 720

Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

Possible Causes and Solutions

Client VPN Subnet IP Pool is Empty

Confirm by searching the Meraki Dashboard Event Log for the event type VPN client address pool empty.  See Meraki Event Log for more information.

To resolve, configure a larger subnet size for client VPN users. Note that one IP in the subnet is reserved for the MX security appliance, so a /24 subnet which provides 254 usable IP addresses will allow for 253 VPN clients to connect, assuming the MX model supports that many concurrent users. See the MX Sizing Principles guide for exact numbers.

WAN Miniport is Corrupted

Reinstall WAN Miniport devices:

1. On the affected device, press the Windows key and type Device Manager
  2. From the search results, click on Device Manager
  3. Expand the Network Adapters group
  4. Right-click all the network adapters beginning with WAN Miniport and then select Uninstall device
  5. From the menu, select Action > Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the WAN Miniport devices
I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

I understand your frustration. It seems like you've done everything correctly, but the VPN connection is still not working on your new Windows 11 laptop. Here are some potential solutions that might help:

Some users have confirmed that reinstalling network adapter devices makes a difference.
Turning firewalls off, this can also feasibly resolve this annoying problem.
Check the log files in the VPN server and in Windows, this might give you more information about what's causing the issue.
Update your Network Driver, this has helped some users resolve the issue.
Enable MS-CHAP v2 in VPN properties, this has resolved similar issues for some users.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Thanks, I have tried most of these steps.  But the issue still occurs.

I only have access to the laptop, and unsure where the windows logs can be found.  There are no firewall logs in /LogFiles

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

• Press Win + X and select "Event Viewer" from the menu.
  • In the Event Viewer window, expand "Windows Logs" in the left pane and select "Applicatoin."
  • Filter the event log by the source "RasClient".
  •  

https://documentation.meraki.com/MX/Client_VPN/Guided_Client_VPN_Troubleshooting/Unable_to_Connect_t...

Thanks!

CoId={FF52071F-26D8-0000-6D31-57FFD826DA01}: The user SYSTEM dialed a connection named Meraki which has failed. The error code returned on failure is 720.

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Windows Error 720

Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

Possible Causes and Solutions

Client VPN Subnet IP Pool is Empty

Confirm by searching the Meraki Dashboard Event Log for the event type VPN client address pool empty.  See Meraki Event Log for more information.

To resolve, configure a larger subnet size for client VPN users. Note that one IP in the subnet is reserved for the MX security appliance, so a /24 subnet which provides 254 usable IP addresses will allow for 253 VPN clients to connect, assuming the MX model supports that many concurrent users. See the MX Sizing Principles guide for exact numbers.

WAN Miniport is Corrupted

Reinstall WAN Miniport devices:

1. On the affected device, press the Windows key and type Device Manager
  2. From the search results, click on Device Manager
  3. Expand the Network Adapters group
  4. Right-click all the network adapters beginning with WAN Miniport and then select Uninstall device
  5. From the menu, select Action > Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the WAN Miniport devices

Yep, sure enough, one of the WAN Miniport drives had gone from looking normal, to erroring.  Reinstalled them for a second time, and all is now well!  Thanks!

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Windows update like to break VPN connections. I lot of people will suggest anyconnect because of this.  What is the error message you are getting and what do the logs show?

All I have access to is the laptop.  Standard VPN error of "A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change your network settings for this connection."

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.