Mac M1 fails authentication on VPN

Solved
MACwizUT
New here

Mac M1 fails authentication on VPN

We have a client who upgraded to an M1 Pro MBP. Her old computer connects fine to the Meraki VPN, and my T2 chip MBP connects without a hitch, but when I put the same credentials in her new computer it gives us an authentication error. All 3 machines on running Monterey, we have the exact same settings on all 3 machines, including putting all traffic through VPN. Her old machine is on the same wireless at her house so that's not the problem. I've worked on this for several hours today and would love to hear what I'm missing.

1 Accepted Solution
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Was the VPN config done locally on that Mac? If so, maybe try pushing it via Apple Configurator. Or, if you have a MDM deployed push the config that way.

I've recently had to do this on any Mac running the Ventura beta. It breaks the VPN config and recreating it on the Mac itself doesn't work. Has to be built externally then imported/pushed.

Using the Apple Configurator is super simple. Install it from the App Store. Open it, file > new profile, choose VPN section, create config, file > save. Last step is open that .mobileconfig file on the client Mac and it should install it.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
Ryan_Miles
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

Was the VPN config done locally on that Mac? If so, maybe try pushing it via Apple Configurator. Or, if you have a MDM deployed push the config that way.

I've recently had to do this on any Mac running the Ventura beta. It breaks the VPN config and recreating it on the Mac itself doesn't work. Has to be built externally then imported/pushed.

Using the Apple Configurator is super simple. Install it from the App Store. Open it, file > new profile, choose VPN section, create config, file > save. Last step is open that .mobileconfig file on the client Mac and it should install it.

It worked exactly as you explained. I don't understand how a chipset can prevent local configuration, but I'm glad it worked! Thank you

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Have you triple checked the shared secret?

I re-input it at least 8 or 9 times (I guess that’s a triple triple), but when I followed Ryan’s instructions it worked the first time.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.