How to utilize Cisco Meraki MX67 and MX85 on my network?

Solved
MeetMinny
Conversationalist

How to utilize Cisco Meraki MX67 and MX85 on my network?

New IT Manager for a org that was pure Unifi devices. MSP came in for 6 months and convinced them to purchase a meraki devices per location becase "there was no firewall". There was one with the unifi Gateway device, and devices have enpoint security. Essentailly not sure why they said these were NEEDED besides them making a sale...

Looks like they are here to stay and I need to just utilize them. Should be the latest and greatest so it should only be a good thing they are added. I have a little experince with Meraki, but not in this cloud environment with other unifi devices.

The old unifi gateways are unplugged and left in the rack right now. I think those were used for our cloud keys so I could get network info at all times away from my desk. Will having the Unifi Gateway plugged in fight with the Meraki firewall now? I know 2 firewalls is just trouble but if there is still a way to utilize these devices that would be nice. 

Network overview: Fiber to Meraki MX85 > Meraki to Unifi Switch > Unifi to Unifi Swich x4 > handfull of Unifi APs and All hubs plugged in. Got a Unifi Cloud Key gen 2 into one of the unifi switches to get readings on the switches and APs when out of the office. 

1 more little office. ISP . Meraki MX67> 1 Unifi Switch > coupld Unifi APs. 

Any suggestions on what I might be missing that makes Cisco Meraki so good I am all ears. Up to hear any education recommendations I can look at to get a better idea for these on my network. 

1 Accepted Solution

As others have suggested please give Meraki a try. There is tons of great documentation that can be found online. If this doesn't answer your question then you can reach out to Meraki Enterprise Level Support which is available 24/7. To access information about Enterprise level support from the top-right-hand corner of your dashboard and you will find a "question mark". Click on this and then scroll down to "Get help". On the Get Help page if the documentation hasn't assisted you then go to "Still Need Help". From here you can either open an email support case or contact the 24/7 support number.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @MeetMinny - the best recommendation you'll get is from yourself once you start using them and see how much better they are.  🙂

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

My suggestion would be to try them out, don't put them down just because someone might have wanted a sale. Meraki is a great product and it's fully cloud managed and doesn't require "cloud keys" to manage remotely. 

doesn't require "cloud keys" to manage remotely. 

That is nice for sure, but is it able to work so I don't need cloud keys anymore to keep an eye on the other devices or better yet control them? Or am I still at the mercy of the Cloud Key because its a Ubiquiti thing?

You will still require your cloud key as Meraki is unable to manage devices from another vendor. 

As others have suggested please give Meraki a try. There is tons of great documentation that can be found online. If this doesn't answer your question then you can reach out to Meraki Enterprise Level Support which is available 24/7. To access information about Enterprise level support from the top-right-hand corner of your dashboard and you will find a "question mark". Click on this and then scroll down to "Get help". On the Get Help page if the documentation hasn't assisted you then go to "Still Need Help". From here you can either open an email support case or contact the 24/7 support number.

If you found this post helpful, please give it kudos. If my answer solved your problem, click "accept as solution" so that others can benefit from it.

Thanks for the link I will definetly check those out! That is kind of what I have been looing for but havn't found much. Didn't have an account on here yet.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.