Client gets IP address from DHCP server but cannot connect to Internet

jared721
Here to help

Client gets IP address from DHCP server but cannot connect to Internet

Hello!

I recently created a new VLAN for devices to connect to. I have a Wi-Fi network using this VLAN as well. A wired client is able to connect to this network and obtains an IP address. A wireless client is also able to connect to the network and obtains an IP address as well. However, both clients are unable to connect to the Internet.

I think it might be a problem with the DNS. Using my computer, I pinged the Google public DNS server while connected to the wireless network and there was no response. I then switched the DHCP server to use proxy to upstream DNS, and I pinged it to see if it would work. It seemed to get a response, but there was still no Internet connection.

Any idea why devices would be able to connect to a network and obtain IP addresses, but not connect to the Internet? Is it a problem with the DNS, or could it be something else?

Thanks for the help!

2 REPLIES 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you ping google ip or dns name?

If you cant ping 8.8.8.8 then its more likely a routing issue or firewall blocking  something.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 but not google dns name then it should be a dns problem

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If google is responding via IP it could be a DNS issue.

Do you own a simple logic? Who is your network gateway?

Also, review if you have any firewall rules or URL categories that could be blocking this.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.