AP Meraki MR36H

mbeb
Comes here often

AP Meraki MR36H

Hello,

I am new into Meraki solution and I am trying to confirm some basic information that somebody told me. 

I have tried to find this in official documentation but unfortunately didn't find any useful information.

Is it true that Meraki Access Point MR36H can work also as a network gateway? I mean we do not have to get separate router as a gateway for public network? We got public IP from our ISP without additional router, only RJ45 where we have to connect our network devices. Is it gonna work?

My colleague told me that 'Hospitality' version supports this. To avoid misunderstanding I have attached 'topology' below.

image.png

4 Replies 4
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Hi @mbeb , the solution will work but you need to change the diagram to show that your ISP router will have a public IP but the connection between the router and MR36H will be via private/internal IPs.  Devices will connect to the MR36H and route out via the ISP router.

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
DarrenOC
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Forgot to mention that you’ll need a local power source for the device 

Darren OConnor | doconnor@resalire.co.uk
https://www.linkedin.com/in/darrenoconnor/

I'm not an employee of Cisco/Meraki. My posts are based on Meraki best practice and what has worked for me in the field.
PhilipDAth
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If I think I understand what you are asking - then the answer is no.  The MR36H is a pure layer 2 device - it can not do NAT - and can not NAT a private IP address VLAN to a single IP address on its "upstream" interface.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No, you will need a router if you are wanting to route between WAN and LAN. 

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.