Client gets IP address from DHCP server but cannot connect to Internet

jared721
Here to help

Client gets IP address from DHCP server but cannot connect to Internet

Hello!

I recently created a new VLAN for devices to connect to. I have a Wi-Fi network using this VLAN as well. A wired client is able to connect to this network and obtains an IP address. A wireless client is also able to connect to the network and obtains an IP address as well. However, both clients are unable to connect to the Internet.

I think it might be a problem with the DNS. Using my computer, I pinged the Google public DNS server while connected to the wireless network and there was no response. I then switched the DHCP server to use proxy to upstream DNS, and I pinged it to see if it would work. It seemed to get a response, but there was still no Internet connection.

Any idea why devices would be able to connect to a network and obtain IP addresses, but not connect to the Internet? Is it a problem with the DNS, or could it be something else?

Thanks for the help!

2 Replies 2
ww
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

Did you ping google ip or dns name?

If you cant ping 8.8.8.8 then its more likely a routing issue or firewall blocking  something.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 but not google dns name then it should be a dns problem

alemabrahao
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

If google is responding via IP it could be a DNS issue.

Do you own a simple logic? Who is your network gateway?

Also, review if you have any firewall rules or URL categories that could be blocking this.

I am not a Cisco Meraki employee. My suggestions are based on documentation of Meraki best practices and day-to-day experience.

Please, if this post was useful, leave your kudos and mark it as solved.
Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.