disabling airplane mode for IOS

kgomez
New here

disabling airplane mode for IOS

I want to disable ipads in the field to go into airplane mode.

Is this possible thru the dashboard?  

Users are toggling airplane mode and we can no longer locate them.

Thank you

4 Replies 4
thaack
Getting noticed

I don't believe so, but you can force the device to always have WiFI on. Seems more like an acceptable use policy problem than an MDM problem if the force WiFi on doesn't work for you.

Systems Manager>Settings>Select Profile>Settings Payload>iOS>Restrictions>Force WiFi power on.

Force Wi-Fi on

iOS 13

iPadOS 13.1

Yes

Users can’t turn off Wi-Fi in:

• Settings

• Control Centre

• Airplane Mode (can still be turned off)

Users can still select which Wi-Fi network to use.

Default is off.

From Apple Config guide 

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

No because it's often a safety requirement when flying. 

PaulF
Meraki Employee
Meraki Employee

As other's have mentioned, Apple don't allow MDM vendors to manage Airplane mode (for obvious reasons).

The ONLY way to achieve this is to put the devices into Kiosk Mode. You can do this in one of two ways

Basic Kiosk Mode

Autonomous Kiosk mode

The first can be used with *any* application, and locks the device into using only this application. There are a tonne of caveats and nuances, though, so I would suggest testing

Autonomous Mode is much more interesting: It allows you, when using applications that you have developed, to put the application into kiosk mode. BUT: It allows you to develop capability within the app to go into and out of kiosk mode WITHIN the application itself 

Anyway, long story short: Kiosk mode is the only way to prevent users using control centre

Iannand
Just browsing

You can’t block Airplane Mode directly through the dashboard, unfortunately. One option could be restricting access to settings using a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution, so users can’t toggle it on. Might not stop it completely, but it could limit when they can do it.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels