Wifi Settings - Hidden Network

Solved
DavidTX
Here to help

Wifi Settings - Hidden Network

I have ~30 MR42 access points which are all broadcasting a SSID with WPA2 and a PSK. I can successfully push this out to devices via the MDM, devices will connect to the wifi.

When hidding the SSIDs from being broadcasted and checking the 'Hidden Network' on the MDM wifi settings, the devices will no longer connect to the SSID.

Has anyone had luck at getting devices to connect to a hidden SSID?

1 Accepted Solution
BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DavidTX  Yes it works I have devices connected to a hidden network. What type of devices are you applying this profile to and what model of wireless vendor are you using? 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
KarstenI
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

The first question that comes to mind here is "Why are you hiding your SSID"? 99% of the given reasons (like more security) doesn't work that way.

I am trying to reduce the cluster. Between myself and neighbors, there are quite a few SSIDs being broadcasted.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DavidTX  Yes it works I have devices connected to a hidden network. What type of devices are you applying this profile to and what model of wireless vendor are you using? 

I am applying the profile to iPhone 12's and 13's. The wireless access points we are running are all Meraki MR42 with a few MR70 sprinkled in.

BlakeRichardson
Kind of a big deal
Kind of a big deal

@DavidTX Any changes to a wifi profile will cause devices to disconnect, I bet if you manually reconnect the devices they will work as expected. 

Changing a wifi profile is basically removing and re-adding a profile even if you are only changing a small setting.

Get notified when there are additional replies to this discussion.
Welcome to the Meraki Community!
To start contributing, simply sign in with your Cisco account. If you don't yet have a Cisco account, you can sign up.
Labels